2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speed Sensor and Plenum question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM
niqherby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor and Plenum question

So i have a 1998 1500 5.9, and the speedometer in my truck hasn't been working in it for a while. I bought the truck from my dad a year ago and even before i had it the speedometer wasn't working correctly. It usually waited until i got to 25 mph and then it would jump up from 0 to 25 mph. But just recently it has been waiting until 35 mph and then jumping up. My check engine light came on when it started waiting until 35 mph to jump up. i checked the code and i got like p0500 or something like that? which is the speed sensor code. I know my dad had replaced a speed sensor in the transmission at one time. Any thoughts on this? I thought i read somewhere that there is 2 sensors? how much do the sensors cost and where are they located?

Now on to the plenum. I'm going to be tackling that problem here in the next few weeks. Is the hughes kit the best way to go? I've been looking into that and think it would be my best option. I was going to buy a new O2 sensor with that so i could hopefully get the truck running better.

Also another question, the ABS and brake light have been on for a very long time, my dad looked into it one time and didn't see anything wrong with the brakes so we didn't worry about it, but the lights on the dash are getting annoying. Any ideas on those? i suppose there is just sensors all those that are bad or something... Thanks for all the help guys. I know im asking quite a bit here haha

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
ferguson30
Rookie

I'm not familiar with the locations of the speed sensor off the top of my head, but replacing it may also fix your abs light issue as well.

As for the plenum, Hughes or APS will both work. Just make sure to replace the bolts while you are at it and properly torque everything (read the directions carefully!). I bought the Hughes, but haven't put it in yet, waiting for some downtime on that one.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
jswain
Veteran

The speed sensor on top of the rear axle differential will most likely fix the abs light, brake light, and speedometer. Have no idea what they cost, had to replace mine about 3 years ago and don't remember price.
I put the hughes kit on mine, I doubt one kit is much better than the other. Good luck with it all.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
niqherby

Do you guys recommend changing the O2 sensor along with doing the plenum repair? and was there anything you had to do to get to the speed sensor? or was the speed sensor easy to get to and change?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

I guess it depends on the year, 'cause I dont recall a second SS on my diff...only the one on the tranny....cost was 80$ or sum like that....

When my ABS light was on after a brake job, Dodge told me there's a bleeder somewhere in the middle of the lines going to the back (or an abs bleeder...sum like that...). I did not see this for myself but Dodge fixed it.

Hughe's kit worked good for me on the 5 Dodges I had to do it on. I only changed the o2 on 1 of those trucks after a plenum repair...

Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When you do the plenum, replace the o2 sensor as well. And replacing the VSS on top of the rear diff, will fix your other problems. They ALL have one and it's only like 40 bucks.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
When you do the plenum, replace the o2 sensor as well. And replacing the VSS on top of the rear diff, will fix your other problems. They ALL have one and it's only like 40 bucks.
so they all have 2??? Hayne's only shows one on the tranny. What does the VSS do for abs light??? I'm not questionning your knowledge...just trying to learn.

Last edited by MaxPower1971; 10-13-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Page 9-24 of the Haynes manual.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
Page 9-24 of the Haynes manual.

oh RWAL sensor....nice...I guess I never had to work on it before lol.....Thanx for pointing it out....I'm going to bed a little less stupid tonight!!!!

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor and Plenum question