2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question

Whats up guys, i had a question about whether or not i have enough power with a Optima red top. right now, im running 4 50W lights, cab lights, Viper 5901 system. but im ordering a Smittybilt XRC 12 winch today that will add more to the battery, my sirius radio is directly connected to the battery as well... right now, ill run the 4 extra lights in the bumper, cab lights, and sirius constantly when the trucks running... the VIPER 5901 is always drawing power with the truck on or off, the viper alarm keeps the voltage at about 12.8 volts when the trucks off, and it stays about the same when the trucks running with the lights all on, so it doesnt draw TOO much power, but with the addition of a winch and i was considering some rock lights, but the winch is forsure, will the Red Top battery be enough do you think? or will have to do a dual battery set up or something?

thanks for the help

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do run to battery and can get a battery box out of a CTD because they have two batteys and the battery box will bolt up on your pass fender

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

If you have a winch, do a dual battery setup.

What is your alternators rated output? Can it keep up with all your toys?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

07,..i was gonna buy one of the cummins battery trays, i figured itd be the easist......

anyway i would guess my alternator is the 117 ill check when i go out after while but id imagine it is the 117 amp... as far as power goes now, everything is great... like i said when the trucks not running ill stay at about 12-12.8 volts.. when its running itll be about 13.3 volts, and closer to 13 or a little lower with all the lights on and everything... so it handles okay, i just figured adding the winch will take its toll, so i wanted to buy the back up battery and maybe just hook the winch to it. i know a guy who has like 6 batteries hooked in a series for his system and he says it works flawessley so i could maybe do that as well..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Having had a similar setup on my old 99 2500, I can tell you what I did. My old trcuk was a "wacker special" (i am a life exempt VFF). So I had fog and drivng lights, and "emergency" strobes,lights and a lightbar. First thing I did was go to the shop my FD used for thier electrical and had them build me a 160 amp alternator in my existing case, cost $200 with a lifetime warranty. On their advice, I also installed a brand new marine deep cycle battery with my reserve amps. I do know Optima does make a simliar battery that costs a little morean a red top. I went to a dual system when I added my Warn 12k winch, simply because I wanted to be able to run the winch with no engine running. I used 2 battery isolators that allowed me to switch off any other accessories and just run the winch off one or both batteries. If you figure just how much power you would need to run everything at idle(lowest output/highest demand) you should have a ball park on how much you'll need. Remember dual batteries does not nessecarily mean more power. You add extra demand to keep both charged off the single alternator.

Quick Reply: Battery Question