2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1294 code help - what 2 fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM
scouterck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1294 code help - what 2 fix?

I've got a 99 1500 5.2L. this code popped up - (P1294 Target Idle Not Reached) - what does this mean? where do I need to look to fix things.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it's an idle problem, then I'd just start by cleaning the throttle body and the IAC. Then seafoam it. Also check the air filter to see if any thing is suffocating it.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a DIY for cleaning the TB and IAC. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ttle-body.html

After you do that, and before you reinstall it. (And this is the important part) Replace the plenum gasket(or the whole intake), timing chain, water pump and all hoses, oil pan gasket(front and rear main seals), freeze plugs on the rear of the block(while the tranny is out and getting rebuilt), precat o2 sensor and the catalytic converter is a must after the plenum fix, both are easier while the gas tank and the rear diff is out for the fuel pump replacement, and the brake line above the gas tank is replaced and rear end rebuild(which all might be easier while the bed is off and having the rust fixed). While this work is being done, get some good penetrating oil and soak the front axle hub nuts daily. This will help make it easier for the next step if it's a 4x4. Replacing the hub bearings, axle ujoints,seals,shocks,trac bar. I forgot a couple things, like, while the front axle is apart getting overhauled, you should replace the steering gear box, intermediate shaft and the bushing at the bottom of the steering column. I know I forgot a couple other things, like "wild vents" for instance, but other than that, your truck should be awesome and run like new. I'm sure my buds here at DF will fill in the blanks on anything I might have missed.

P.S. Don't worry about the cracked dash, rotting door panels and the leaking 3rd brake light . That's just the Dodge Ram I love to work on.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM
scouterck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Zman - sounds like this truck is going to turn out just like my 92 Cherokee. Runs like h@@L, when I don't have to stop and pick up things that fall off

Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look on the bright side. you're pretty close to charleston sc, so while the transmission is still running you can drive down there and leave the truck with montec and let him fix the transmission and replace all the freeze plugs.

if its running ok and not skipping, and the problem is only idle rpm control, replace the IAC first and if that doesn't fix it, then the TPS. both are common problems. if money isn't a problem then replace tps anyway. it often helps it hold OD and pull hills better.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
...if that doesn't fix it, then the TPS. both are common problems. if money isn't a problem then replace tps anyway. it often helps it hold OD and pull hills better.
I'll testify to that. I actually broke my TPS. I took off my TB and left the TPS on and dropped it right on the TPS. Bought a new one, and as soon as I drove it, you could just feel it jump off a red light.

Quick Reply: P1294 code help - what 2 fix?