2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how good r u at engine diag

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

btw it is possible that head has been cracked for a long time and it may NOT be the source of your smoke.

how did the head gasket look ?

you got a junkyard nearby? you can probably get a magnum 318/360 head for pretty cheap from van, jeep, durango, dakota, or ram.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM
97ram5.2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got my new head today and all my parts so hopefull i can start reassembling it by the way do you guys put rtv on the front and rear ruber intake gaskets that gets sandwiched between the block and intake

Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ram5.2
got my new head today and all my parts so hopefull i can start reassembling it by the way do you guys put rtv on the front and rear ruber intake gaskets that gets sandwiched between the block and intake
fwiw- those cross block dowel gaskets got a nice bead of copper rtv in the little indent in the center of it, and for it's full length on my truck.. I don't think rtv on that part of the seal will hurt a thing... there is no heavy pressure there.. a little bit on the points where they touch the heads is good too..

good luck!! Man, be careful when you put the keg back on top of the gasket.. you don't want that rascal moving!!! (ask me how I know).. :-)

Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, you should put a generous dallop of rtv at the corners of the rubber gaskets. i also put a very light coat on both top and bottom of the rubber. just enough to make it sticky.

the plenum/keg thing is a little heavy and awkward. a good tip i read somewhere is to cut the heads off four long bolts that will fit the intake and screw them in the corners just a little bit. use them as alignment pins and drop the intake over them so it will drop straight in. start the other bolts, then remove the line ups.

good luck. where'd you get your replacement head ? how much?

check your plenum and make sure your belly pan is still sealed up and that the bolts are not too long.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
97ram5.2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i got a head from the junkyard 75 bucks taking them to the machine shop 2morrow and im going to clean the plenum up real good tonight I have the bottom end all together already so all i have to do is get the heads slammed on and im ready to rule soo wish me luck haha

Quick Reply: how good r u at engine diag