2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to tell security system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Gaius
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell security system?

). I had bought a PCM at a yard from a Ram that ended up having the security system option on it (would run for a couple seconds, then shut off). I had to buy another one.

After calling the dealer, the PCM number will not tell if a rig has it or not. A friend has swapped in a Grand Cherokee 5.2 in his TJ, which has the security, and we need to get one from a Ram, Dakota, or Durango. Is there a way for us to tell from a truck in a yard whether it has this security system on it? Special key?

I suppose I could call a VIN in, but this may be a hassle for the yard guys to get. Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't know the rams had that option.
My wifes sebring had it and it had the same symptoms you describe.
start it and 5 seconds later engine died but the dash had a red light in the cluster I think it was just a red dot about 1/2" diameter, that too would illuminate.

It didn't have FOB's or any thing it just had the microchip in the key.
I was trying to start it with the spare key the dealer gave us.
Went back and the dealer was able to program another key for us, it's prolly around 40 bucks to get the key programed.
I thought the PCM had the VIN in it and the dealer could find this out, Dodge should have a copy of the PCM and key codes I would think.
I don't know if you would require anything else to make it work, I would ask the local dealer, they should know for sure.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Gaius
Veteran

Thanks for the info. So did the key look any different than the regular black plastic-handled key?

The VIN is not on the p/n sticker on the PCM. It is flashed on the PCM, but when checking PCMs in a junkyard this is not an option.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The plastic handle part is about twice as thick, maybe 3/8".

Old 10-17-2010, 02:44 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year vehicle are you removing these pcm's from?the 02 up dodges had security in them if you had a gray headed key..there is also a skim module that sits around the tumbler underneath the column covers if the key is not available..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Gaius
Veteran

Originally Posted by mrfarrell
what year vehicle are you removing these pcm's from?the 02 up dodges had security in them if you had a gray headed key..there is also a skim module that sits around the tumbler underneath the column covers if the key is not available..

We need a non-security PCM from a 98 or 99 Ram, Dakota, or Durango.

Thanks, I'll check for the box under the column covers.

Quick Reply: How to tell security system?