2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Dodge To Get?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Dodge To Get?!?!?

hey guys i'm in a situation here on deciding on which dodge to get. here's the options and explanations;

#1-

I HAVE A 1500 DODGE V8 ENGINE OF THE YEAR 2000 5.9 88 800 MILES WITH EXTENDED CAB 4 DOORS ALL WORK.

DETAILS:
RESTORED/SALVAGE.
NEED NEW TIRES.
NEED PAINTING.
( The guy says he doesn't know why its salvaged title but that everything works just needs tires and paint. He's asking $3500)

#2-

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 Sport Quad Cab with a 6" Skyjacker lift kit with 35" Micky Tompson Baja Claws the truck currently not drivable the motor ran when it was parked the tranny is currently out of it to replace the fly wheel. The Back window is busted out i have a rear window for it but havnt installed it it needs some work it will need to be trailerd.
( This guy also told me a piece of the lift kit is broke and the trucks been sitting for three years so the tank will need to be cleaned, also has 140000 miles and he wants $1500 for it.)

so which would you guys get? I dont mind doing some work but i don't want to buy the sport one and put the tranny back up and have the motor be bad or buy the salvaged one and have the frame be bent or something. please help me out. thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

In my opinion I would not get either of them but if I had to choose I would stay away from the salvaged title. It is hard to say what all could be wrong with it. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

keep looking the deals are out there.

i waited almost 3 months before i bought my ram...my dad had a 96 4x2 5.2L, and i loved driving it. So my heart was set on a Ram.

i got mine for $1800, came with rims and new tires, recipts for a rebuilt beefed tranny, 4.10 gears, and radiator...had all the recipts....had 187K, has 204K now, and shes a beast, i love my truck....

only thing that was wrong with it, is it needed shocks, and the rocker panals and bottom of the doors are rusted, which ive fixed now....the rest of the truck has no rust.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah stay away from the salvage title. He knows why it's a salvage title. Most likely it has been in an accident and repaired.

I would stay away from the 98 as well. To many odd things you mentioned wrong. Be patient and keep looking.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. That's a real head-or-gut decision. Don't make it at all, just walk away.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

As much as I would warn people about a salvage title you should be able to get under the truck and find were it was damaged a simple wreck to the front or the bed could total a truck without messing with the frame or if the airbags went off....if major damage was done it wont be hard to find

Oh just noticed price on first one, would not go for that high of a price would like to see the price down to around $2500

and oh yea my truck was almost considered totaled, ended up settling with the insurance company of the guy that hit me, and if you look at the upside down sig I have, all the damage from the accident is still there, it was bumper, grille, all the plastics, the fog lights, and the ac condeser was bent but works just fine

Last edited by redheadhunter21; 10-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I have purchased cars with salvage titles before, and driven the problem free for many years.

A salvage title just means that at some point, the vehicle was wrecked, and the damages were going to cost more to fix, than the vehicle was worth. Cosmetic damage is hideously expensive to repair....

Just as a simple example.... I had a 92 S-10 Blazer that got rear-ended. The tailgate, rear window, and bumper were toast...... Body shop estimate for repairs? 2200 bucks..... Had I ran that past my insurance company, the truck would have been totaled..... and repairing it would result in only being able to get a salvage title. I replaced the tailgate, bumper, and window, for under 100 bucks with parts from one of the local junk yards.... parts were even the right color..... You couldn't tell the truck had ever been wrecked.

Do a very careful inspection. If you don't see obvious repairs, chances are, it was just cosmetic damage that the insurance company deemed 'not worth repairing', and someone else bought the truck with a salvage title, and fixed it up.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have purchased cars with salvage titles before, and driven the problem free for many years.

A salvage title just means that at some point, the vehicle was wrecked, and the damages were going to cost more to fix, than the vehicle was worth. Cosmetic damage is hideously expensive to repair....

Just as a simple example.... I had a 92 S-10 Blazer that got rear-ended. The tailgate, rear window, and bumper were toast...... Body shop estimate for repairs? 2200 bucks..... Had I ran that past my insurance company, the truck would have been totaled..... and repairing it would result in only being able to get a salvage title. I replaced the tailgate, bumper, and window, for under 100 bucks with parts from one of the local junk yards.... parts were even the right color..... You couldn't tell the truck had ever been wrecked.

Do a very careful inspection. If you don't see obvious repairs, chances are, it was just cosmetic damage that the insurance company deemed 'not worth repairing', and someone else bought the truck with a salvage title, and fixed it up.
To that. We bought a 1995 Old Cutless Ciera. It was a salvage title. Nothing wrong with it from inspection. Upon driving it for 3 years the back pillar started to seperate from the car. Had a body shop look at it, it was filled with bondo and not fixed properly.

Moral of the story, you don't know what your gonna get with a salvage titile. More often than not you get a POS that has hidden issues.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 has a salvage title the frame was tweaked so it got replaced and the drivers side front fender and headlight. Its is just fine no problems

Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Find a better deal. Even though the title says Salvage, I would not buy a Ram without the transmission in it (for a flywheel change), seems kind of fishy to me.

Quick Reply: Which Dodge To Get?!?!?