2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010 | 02:21 PM
The beast is reborn
|
Rookie
Default need some help

truck been sitting for 8yrs, finally got it running with a few problems.
1. ABS and parking light always lit-new lines, new hardware at the wheels, new MC
Possible rear diff speed sensor? What else could cause this?
2. tranny doesn't feel like it's in 1st when you manually shift it to 1st,
I'm by no means an excellent mechanic, the truck doesn't seem to rev out like it should(I just starting running it so I'm trying to take it easy)When it's in D, I had it up to 50-60 km/h, and the tranny feels like it shifted at 25 or so.
Is this normal or what? What is limp mode and does my truck have it? 95 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 auto trans 46RH

Could the abs light affect the computer to trans operation? Or I am thinking like a new truck?

Old 10-21-2010 | 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

95 has the 46RH. Computer only controls TCC engagement, nothing to do with shifting. Since the truck sat for eight years.... I am guessing the the fluid has broken down, and probably left sticky deposits here and there, that interfere with proper operation. Probably, the best thing you can do, is just drive it gently for a while, let things get up to temp, and hope they work themselves out.

Does the speedometer work correctly? If Yes... probably speed sensor in rear diff.

Old 10-21-2010 | 03:50 PM
The beast is reborn
|
Rookie

Anyway to test the rear sensor?

Old 10-21-2010 | 05:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You can unplug and clean the connector and sensor. Or just try sliding it on and off a bunch of times. If that works, put some die electric grease on it. If it does not, they are only like 40 bucks. Btw, after 8 years, I hope the first thing you did was change the engine oil and filter. I'd also change the tranny fluid and filter. And probably the rear end grease too. I'd also check for stored codes in the PCM.

Old 10-22-2010 | 08:46 PM
The beast is reborn
|
Rookie

speedometer only kicks in at 25Km/h- Should have a new sensor on Monday hope it works

Check codes
12- neg battery connection- normal
37- Temp high or TCC circuit

I have no stock temp sensor so what does this mean to me? If I had a problem with the TCC what should i notice?

Old 10-22-2010 | 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No stock temp sensor??? Does that mean its broke? Or, you don't have a spare? If the sensor takes a dump, I don't know if it will read high, or low...... does the gauge in the dash work?

TCC failure will mean you don't get torque converter lockup. Could potentially overheat your trans, and require a rebuild...... to see if its working, just take if for a drive, on a road that you can hit 55 or better on. Start from a dead stop, and just accelerate easily. You should be able to feel the 1-2, and 2-3 shifts, (and also see the tach react to the shifts....) then, there should be a slight rpm drop, 200-500 rpm, when the TCC engages, and then a significant RPM drop when it shifts into fourth. If you see all that, TCC is fine.

Old 10-22-2010 | 11:42 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Under light throttle mine shifts from 1st to 2nd around 10 MPH, 2nd to 3rd at 20, 3rd to O/D at 30 and lockup at 43.

Old 10-23-2010 | 08:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I could be wrong, but the temp sensor on a 46rh is part of the TCC solenoid. If the fluid get's too hot a light on the dash will come on. I'd replace the sensor on the rear end first, and go from there. And like I said,you should drop the pan and change the fluid. While you are in there, check the wire harness for the TCC solenoid,to make sure it's not broken or worn through the jacket anywhere. If all else fails,replace the output shaft speed sensor.

Old 10-25-2010 | 05:43 AM
The beast is reborn
|
Rookie

I changed the fluid/filter and check wiring before I ever started my truck. Can anyone tell me the location of my transmission temp sensor. I'm a little confused, I don't believe my truck came with one. My truck doesn't have a towing package. My truck is shifting though some of its gear but it still doesn't feel right. Well, I did abandon it for 8 yrs so its going to feel different. Can someone tell me what rev/speed they get when manually in 1st,(auto tranny 46rh) I very close to getting my safety, and then I'm going to take it into a tranny shop to get it check over. by the way thanks for all the input.