2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 05:02 PM
Ram_King
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Andrew2500
If you hear a hollow rattling sound when you idle and for about a second after you hit the gas, then your cat is clogged or breaking down.
thats exactly what im hearing i thought it was just a loose bolt or something, man thats a big bummer, help me out on what i should get to replace it

Old 10-25-2010 | 05:13 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

can you get the pipe off behind it? If so you could punch it out and be flowin freely again!

Just take off the pipe so you have a straight shot at the contents of the cat, and take a big long bar or something (I've used a jack handle before) and break it up enough to fit out the outlet. Start it up and rev er to blow the stuff out, I'd suggest something to catch it too.... be careful not to break the O2 sensors if you do this

Old 10-26-2010 | 10:46 AM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
can you get the pipe off behind it? If so you could punch it out and be flowin freely again!

Just take off the pipe so you have a straight shot at the contents of the cat, and take a big long bar or something (I've used a jack handle before) and break it up enough to fit out the outlet. Start it up and rev er to blow the stuff out, I'd suggest something to catch it too.... be careful not to break the O2 sensors if you do this
We have done this too at the muffler shop, which produced two other issues, #1 the "droning" sound inside the cab (which was why we started installing the additional short glasspack) and #2, a constant CEL showing "out of perimeter" O2 readings.
Just a few things to think about, most of the "droning" issues were GM related and most of the CEL issues were Ford related, didn't do too many Dodges.......

Old 11-03-2010 | 12:24 PM
TRTPLAYER
Rookie

im running a glass pack with the cat still on it and it sounds great i think its like a 34" glass pack not to loud but has a pretty good rummble to it doesnt do the loud pop or crap like when you straight pipe a truck if your going to straight pipe your truck atleast put in a glass pack to help somewhat take the annoying pop.