2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plenum, yeah, i said it

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:09 AM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plenum, yeah, i said it

Did the plenum a while back with the hughes kit. Have put about 1500 miles on the truck since. The only time it pings is at near wot, and it only pings lightly 3 or 4 times and clears up and seems to vary with the weather as to whether it'll ping at all. I'm thinking that might be a clogged injector and I'm currently techroning the hell out of it. I see zero oil looking down the tb, but have not removed the tb. I've burned maybe 1/4 to 1/3 quart of oil in 1500 miles since (engine has 150k total). Does that oil consumption sound normal? I'm thinkin its ok, but I regret putting the all metal gasket in there that came with the kit. It worries me a bit as it is all metal, nothing else. Wish I had used a fel pro rubber and metal gasket, I'd trust it more. Anyway, what do you plenum savvy folks say?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Salex007
Captain

i think maybe a clogged cat

Old 10-27-2010, 12:39 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

When is the last time you did a tune up? Do you have a programmer of any sorts? (Superchips, Hypertech, Sct). As Salex said, how is the cat? Where are you buying your gas? I am assuming Chevron since you mentioned techron. Also, have you tried the sea foam treatment yet?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Originally Posted by jswain
I've burned maybe 1/4 to 1/3 quart of oil in 1500 miles since (engine has 150k total). Does that oil consumption sound normal?
Yeah, that's actually pretty darn good. All engines consume some oil. Less than a quart between oil changes on a 150K motor is very acceptable.

As for your detonation, could be a number of things. It doesn't sound very severe, though.

Does the thing have the correct spark plugs in it?

If it were me, I'd start by doing a 3-part service. That is, fuel additive, clean the throttle body, and then do the can that is slowly consumed through a vacuum line. And once that was done, I'd hold it at about 4 grand and very carefully pour cold water down the throttle body to shock the carbon off while it's still loosened from the cleaner. Afterward, a tune-up (at least plugs). And correct plugs; The ones indicated on your engine info sticker.

If that doesn't do the trick, then you need to be looking at fuel trims to make sure it's not leaning out.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

my truck burns less than a 1/4 quart in 3K...i have 204K...

and i used te gasket that came with the hughes, and didnt use rtv...just torqued to spec...have 7K on the hughes abouts, and i take off tb every oil change to check....changed oil 2 weeks ago, and theres not a drop of oil.....but my rear mail seal is leaking, which is where my oil loss is comming from i believe....

all in all the gasket that came with the hughes isnt a bad gasket...just torque to spec and all should be good.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long since you replaced the PCV valve? They're often neglected and when sticky/stuck open will cause oil consumption.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
jswain
Veteran

Pcv valve changed less than 10k ago with oem part. Oem plugs, oem equivalent wires, brass contact cap and rotor button about..20k ago. I guess if it burns half a quart or so between oil changes, thatll be ok. Taking the tb off every oil change? Man, that's ocd.

Has not pinged with the techron yet, its on sale 2 for 1 at oreillys. I'll look at the plugs when I get a chance and seafoam it if it pings again. Never got around to the seafoam. The gasket I got with the hughes kit was a victor reines brand, all metal. I was expecting a "gasket material" gasket (regular old paper gasket). It'll probably be allright, was just not expecting the all steel gasket I got. Used threadlocker, no rtv or other sealer.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Things to consider:

Where do you buy your gas? Cheap gas runs crappy in my truck. Never had an issue with Chevron. Even if it's $0.10 more a gallon, that's only $2.00 on a 20 gallon fill up.

Check to make sure the plug boots are fully seated on the plugs, cap, and coil. Use dielectric grease on all connection points

Verify correct plug gap. Do not exceed .040 unless you have an aftermarket ignition like an MSD or Mallory box. I fould .038 worked great for me on a stock engine.

Check for very small vac leaks. Unmetered air leans out a cylinder. Lean=ping.

Variance of ping with weather would lead me to suspect the IAT reading hotter than it should, CTS reading too hot, or MAP sensor a bit slow to react to changing vac in the engine. Do not discount how badly a malfunctioning Coolant temp sensor can mess with fuel trims. I had a CTS that failed reading 250* at all times and the engine pinged under even the lightest throttle.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 AM
jswain
Veteran

I ran the techron through 2 tanks. Filled up with 87 octane at the pilot station. I only use that pilot, chevron across the street, chevron, etc. I quit using wal marts gas (station in front of wal mart, don't know what the fuel brand is). Used to use it, but got some bad gas there once. Anyway, 2 tanks of techron, filled up with 87. Mashed the gas pretty good a couple of times and got it up to about 4k rpm. Not a ping to be heard. However, the slight pinging I had honestly seemed to vary with the weather. I have a couple of spare map sensors, may do some switching and see what happens with that if I get more pinging. Did you guys know the owners manual (or at least mine) says some spark knock is normal? I read that in there a long time ago. Thought that was odd.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

it may be ocd checking it, but it takes 10 minutes to do, so why not....and i check my fluids every other day, tire pressure every other day...im very high maintenance with my truck. better safe then sorry...

Quick Reply: plenum, yeah, i said it