2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thinking about hughes F1 air gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
DodgeRam5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about hughes F1 air gap

i was just wondering if anyone put the f1 air gap on there stock 2000 5.9 but i really don't want to lose all my low my main reason to put this intake on would be to eliminate the plenum gasket so i would never have to worry about it again i do tow so i like to have my low end torque but i heard people say that this intake a with a sct tuner and u wont have to worry about losing your low end torque cause i don't plan on doing anything else besides the sct tuner and upgraded ignition like coil, wires, plugs, cap, and rotor other then that i have a 3" exhaust with a aero turbine 3030 and a drop in k&N that's it if anyone had put this on and didn't like how it performed let me no b4 i waste $600 on something that isn't going to help if the stock intake is the best then ill just weld the plate to the intake so i don't have to worry about it but would just like some other input on this.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

If your just wanting low end torque then that is what our kegger is for. Our kegger goes to crap in the higher rpms. no you will not lose any low end from the airgap. Some people swear they do but its more than likely due to the incredible power you know feel in the higher rpms.

If your just worried about the plenum, theres been very few complaints about the hughes plate and if your not a idiot and do it right its almost guarenteed to solve the problem for the rest of your trucks life. I dunno what your trying to do by adding this but 600 bucks might be better spent else where unless your wanting to modify your engine more...

sct tuner, 1.7 HS rockers and a bigger throttle body would be about 600 and you would feel a lot more gains..

BTW search and you will find a bunch of crap about the airgap.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I can see how putting the air gap on there would making getting to the distributor easier though...... that's a pretty powerful argument in and of itself, but, worth 600 bucks? Nope.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
stvmike
Default Manifold

I thought about doing this to fix my manifold too and talked to Hughes about it and expressed not wantiong to loose towing torque and they talked me out of it. I did buy thier repair kit. good stuff.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I picked up another manifold, did the 'kegger mod' to it, installed the hughes plate, and stuck it on the truck. Just got it running good today.... The truck runs MUCH better... (but, my plenum was seriously blown...) I rather like it. Now.... save my pennies for the SCT tuner.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
DodgeRam5.2

so I'm better off just not wasting my money on the f1 because its gonna end up hurting me for towing?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gav1n8

sct tuner, 1.7 HS rockers and a bigger throttle body would be about 600 and you would feel a lot more gains..
I'm trying to figure out how you can get all of these for under $600... Are you buying wholesale? I spent about $850 on the same items.. (well, two of the three- but I priced out a 52mm TB @ $225)... that's $275 for the SCT (hemifever, cheapest I found), $335 H&S 1.7's from Summit, you can get them a little cheaper but you have to enter the 'twilight zone' to do it, and only save $30 or so dollars- it's worth paying the $30, trust me..

The kegger mod is basically free (+ a few hours to do it right).. I'm happy with mine and it only cost me several hours and a couple cutting wheels, a grinder bit, and a honing/polishing bit.. I don't know if that is any real gain, but at the same time I'm not sold on the gapper either in concept.. (I've never tried it in other words)..

If you sit and think about it, the limitations on these engines isn't the kegger, it's the heads pretty much plain and simple.. I'm guessing the kegger can pull just as much air as the gapper (albeit, in theory 'hotter' air), and offer it to the intakes dang near as efficiently.. It's the heads/intake valves that's the bottleneck...

solution: save that $600, wait until it magically turns into $900, and get the iron ram 2.02's, or the clearwater equiv... now your getting somewhere because you're addressing the problem instead of working on gimmicky equivalents to band-aides that may or may not work..

but those gappers sure LOOK good, huh?

Last edited by drewactual; 10-27-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Does anyone sell the keg with the kegger mod or similar already done to them? If not where is the best place to pick up a spare keg? I've checked with the yards around me and none are to be found, at least that's what they told me.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slider15004x4
Does anyone sell the keg with the kegger mod or similar already done to them? If not where is the best place to pick up a spare keg? I've checked with the yards around me and none are to be found, at least that's what they told me.
I believe hughes engines sells the stock intake with different stages of mods. They are expensive though. It's a lot cheaper to buy a stocker and do it yourself

Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Salex007
Captain

get the 1.7 rr from southeast performance as they are the cheapest there. Get the hughes or aps plenum kit, also get the SCT from hemifever and then you are gold for a while

Quick Reply: thinking about hughes F1 air gap