2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 AM
TwiztidJRB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge ram issues

ok, i got a 01 ram 1500 v8 magnum.. it seems like there is no power behind it, the fuel mileage is getting barely 10 almost 9.9, just replaces the fuel pump/filter, radiator, spark plugs - lines and cap, new exhaust system and still the same problem.. i know its a 4x4 but still should be getting more mpg than 10. not too sure whats wrong with it maybe someone else has had this problem? oh.. the radiator sucks down water big time.. also noticed i have an oil leak somewhere.. drops on the ground.. any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum.

Originally Posted by TwiztidJRB
ok, i got a 01 ram 1500 v8 magnum.. it seems like there is no power behind it, the fuel mileage is getting barely 10 almost 9.9, just replaces the fuel pump/filter, radiator, spark plugs - lines and cap, new exhaust system and still the same problem.. i know its a 4x4 but still should be getting more mpg than 10. not too sure whats wrong with it maybe someone else has had this problem?
Which spark plugs did you use? Our engines are semi-picky about them. As far as the MPGs go, do a search here on the forum for "plenum" or go check out the FAQ section and look for it there. 99% of our trucks have this issue. After you fix that, replacing the pre-cat oxygen sensor should also help.

oh.. the radiator sucks down water big time..
Any leaks anywhere? That coolant has to be going some place.

also noticed i have an oil leak somewhere.. drops on the ground.. any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?
I have not had this problem, but the rear main seal is supposed to be a pretty common area to leak from. No offense, but are you sure those drops aren't coolant?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 AM
TwiztidJRB

ya, there dark stains in the pavement coming from the engine compartment.. i think its my transmition fluid, and the radiator is only 3 months old.. the old one had same problem and both had no leaks

Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Just did my plenum recently, and found a lot of good places for coolant to leak, that won't be readily apparent. The bypass hose under the a/c bracket is one, the upper radiator hose, right at the intake is another, freeze plugs behind motor mounts....... and at the back of the engine. (can't see 'em, there is a transmission in the way....) Heater return line at the intake manifold, and also at the mid point, where there is a splice for some reason? Not sure what that was all about....... wouldn't a hose the right length have been a better plan?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Just did my plenum recently, and found a lot of good places for coolant to leak, that won't be readily apparent. The bypass hose under the a/c bracket is one, the upper radiator hose, right at the intake is another, freeze plugs behind motor mounts....... and at the back of the engine. (can't see 'em, there is a transmission in the way....) Heater return line at the intake manifold, and also at the mid point, where there is a splice for some reason? Not sure what that was all about....... wouldn't a hose the right length have been a better plan?
I believe the splice (if you're referring to the "T" fitting?) is for draining the coolant faster. Could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by rideordie
I believe the splice (if you're referring to the "T" fitting?) is for draining the coolant faster. Could be wrong.
On mine, there isn't a "T", just a splice..... good place to put a flush fitting though.... hose is already cut.

As it is pretty high up on the motor, wouldn't make a good drain......

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram issues