2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear main seal questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal questions

hey guys. havnt posted in here for a whil. i sold my blue dodge and bought another 97. anyways, what i believe to be the rear main seal, is getting apparently worse. it started out to be a golfball size oil drip, now about the size of a a cantelope.

it looks like it dripping from where the engine meets the transmission. does this sound right for a RMS?

also, i keep reading the the seal is a 2 piece seal. i cant find that anywhere. everywhere i look its a 1 piece. maybe im looking at the wrong part?

i was also hoping you guys can show me exactly which parts i would need. obviosly ill change the rear main seal, the oil pump, oil pan gasket, but is there anything else thats cheap in that area that i should replace.

thanks guys

Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Clean the area REALLY well. Starting at the top of the motor behind the intake. (yeah, I know, sorry 'bout that...... fun getting back there...) Make sure the oil isn't just running down from somewhere else. Oil leaks can be like that.

if it is indeed coming from the bottom side of the rear of the motor, might be rear main, might be oil pan gasket..... The pan can be dropped without too much trouble, the rear main though, I do believe that the trans needs to be out of the way.

Just a thought.... the torque converters on the 46RE's are known to be weak.... might be a good time for an upgrade?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you certain it's the rear main and not the oil pan gasket? My truck was leaking for the longest time and I blamed the rear main. I changed it as well as the oil pan gasket, and the replacement pan gasket was a better style than the old one. I found no issues with the rear main, plus the old pan gasket was rather chewed up/gnarled due to not seating properly because it was so "floppy".

Anyway, the Ram uses a 2-piece rear main. Click here to see it.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The transmission doesn't need to come out or even be taken loose to get at the rear main seal. You just need to take off the starter, inspection cover on the transmission, oil pan, oil pump and rear main bearing cap then loosen the crank bolts a little bit and the old seal will push right out.

You do need to pick up some anaerobic sealant for the rear bearing cap, either Loctite 518 or the Permatex anaerobic gasket maker (most auto parts stores have the second one).

Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
The transmission doesn't need to come out or even be taken loose to get at the rear main seal. You just need to take off the starter, inspection cover on the transmission, oil pan, oil pump and rear main bearing cap then loosen the crank bolts a little bit and the old seal will push right out.

You do need to pick up some anaerobic sealant for the rear bearing cap, either Loctite 518 or the Permatex anaerobic gasket maker (most auto parts stores have the second one).

Nope. Clear silicone sealant and some black RTV is all that's needed.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420

Cool, good to know. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Nope. Clear silicone sealant and some black RTV is all that's needed.
Now we know why your truck has an overheating problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
Now we know why your truck has an overheating problem.

We could play a game called, "Hide zman's foot", ya know.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal questions