2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem with front axle connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
wetails2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with front axle connection

Hi, I am a noob at trucks, always wanted one finally got one. I have been fixing up my 1995 Ram 1500 with a 6" lift. My newest problem is one of the bars that connects the axle to the body broke and I don't know what the name of it is so that I can replace it. Can someone tell me what it is?
There are 4 bars, 2 on each side. The top of the bar is the same as the bottom, with bolts holding them in position on both sides of the bar on both heads. When connected they make kind of like a v to the frame. One of my bars broke at the head and now I am afraid to drive the truck until it gets fixed in fear of my axle breaking off.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Problem with front axle connection-dsc00249.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to Dodge Forum!... That would be your lower control arm. it is aftermarket, probably came with the lift kit that is on your truck. I would go to topguncustomz.com. They custom make those control arms depending on how many inches your lift kit requires. unless you are at 3" or less you could go back to the stock control arms from a junkyard. and I would replace all four just based on the fact I haven't seen one of those break before. there might be some quality issues with the ones you have there.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM
wetails2
Default Thank you

Hey, thanks for the reply. After looking at the arm in better daylight, it appears that the weld failed on it. When I go to the site you suggested, I look at 94-01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Custom Length Control Arms correct? I measured mine and the bottoms are about 20" long and the tops seem to be about 19".

Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wetails2
Hey, thanks for the reply. After looking at the arm in better daylight, it appears that the weld failed on it. When I go to the site you suggested, I look at 94-01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Custom Length Control Arms correct? I measured mine and the bottoms are about 20" long and the tops seem to be about 19".
Yeah, those are it. I would call Top Gun Customs to let them know your situation and problem so they get you the right part.

That is something you really dont see everyday, a snapped control arm. Either those were some really ****ty, cheap arms, or they were abused badly. I think it has to be the earlier.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
wetails2
Red face Clicking sounds from my engine

Hi all,

Got the arms changed on my truck, and they were easy to replace. My issue now is that every morning when I start my truck up, it clicks while running...makes a quick but very noticable tick, tick, tick sound, and a whine like the fan belt is too loose. This only happens during the first half hour the truck is started and then just the belt sound can be heard. I believe I do need to change the belt, but any ideas on the clicking noise? The timing chain is what came to my mind, if that is what it is, is it easy to replace or should I take the truck in to have a "pro" do it for me? All my fluids are good and topped. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you. I like to be able to do the work myself, this is why I love this truck, it is easy to work with.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What does your oil pressure look like when you start it up?

Could be a number of things, from injectors ticking, to lifters, to loose rockers..... can you post a video, with audio?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ticking from the belt might be the tensioner. look to see if its jerking back and forth. inspect it with belt removed.

might also be water pump bearings. with belt off rotate and wiggle the pulley. it should be firm, smooth, no wiggle, no wobble, no shaking. if not - replace the pump. check other pulleys for no wiggle.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
wetails2

I found it was the water pump, it gave out on me on a travel I was doing, antifreeze went everywhere. Luckily I was near home. But I thought it was the tensioner, I saw it moving as it was clicking. Hmmm, maybe both.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wetails2
I found it was the water pump, it gave out on me on a travel I was doing, antifreeze went everywhere. Luckily I was near home. But I thought it was the tensioner, I saw it moving as it was clicking. Hmmm, maybe both.

Tensioner could have been reacting to water pump issue. Check it to make sure the pulley on it turns freely with no wobble and no grinding noise. If in doubt, I would replace it. I don't know on these Rams, but on My Toyota, I just relplaces a 6203 bearing in the tensioner instead of the whoel unit. Only about $6. Dealer wanted over $100 for tensioner.

Quick Reply: Problem with front axle connection