2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge37854
What would be the best kit to get. I found a master rebuild kit which includes all the plates o-rings and gaskets for 140 and also found a overhaul kit for 43. all this is on rock auto.com also found more online for high performance kit to the basic kits if I rebuild this I want it to last. I probably pull it out this weekend and figure out what all i need to order. also is there and special tool required for this and how do you know how to adjust the bands

Thanks
Like stated before, get yourself an ATSG manuel. It will be your best friend!!! Also, check out this link.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nsmission.html

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
dodge37854
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J415 that Link was really helpful just what i was looking for.
Thanks
And to Gerehead8 anythings possible with the right resources yes this would be the first trans rebuild for me but the trans not working anyways so what else could i hurt? but i will be viewing all resource during the build including the atsg and taking pictures.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge37854
J415 that Link was really helpful just what i was looking for.
Thanks
And to Gerehead8 anythings possible with the right resources yes this would be the first trans rebuild for me but the trans not working anyways so what else could i hurt? but i will be viewing all resource during the build including the atsg and taking pictures.
If you take your time you should be fine. You just made it sound like you were going to try to do this in a weekend.

The logic of not working so what can I hurt doesn't work to well. I bad rebuild can destroy most of the hard parts in a tranny and make it much more expensive to rebuild the second time.

If you follow the ATSG and take your time you will be fine. You just made it sound like you were going to try to do this in a weekend. To do the rebuild you will need a slide hammer (two is better), feeler gauges, one big and small reverseable snap ring pliers, engine valve spring compressor (or a really big clamp), A LOT of brake cleaner, ATF +4, and assembly goo. Also a way to compress the huge spring in the OD unit. I just had a local trans shop rebuild my OD unit for $75 because I didn't want to mess with it. You will need compressed air for cleaning and checking clutch packs too. I am sure I forgot a few things much that should cover the big stuff.

Parts needed - paper and rubber kit, frictions and steels, torque converter, sealing rings (might be included with paper and rubber kit), kickdown band, low/reverse band, and I suggest a shift kit.

By the way these are better known as A518 trannies in the industry and searching for parts by that name will yield better results.

Quick Reply: 95 Transmission Problem