2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM
saltbranch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 tranny question

I just bought a 94,5.2, auto, 2wd 1/2 ton truck. I have the problem where when you put it in gear, tranny seems to lockup and kill the motor. Does not happen all the time. Is there away to bypass the lockup converter switch or disable it?
Truck is going to be used on a ranch, will not be street legal, I doubt it ever go over 20mph.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a 3 prong plug that plugs in towards the top of the tranny (not the Park/Neutral plug). Just unplug it. On the 94-95's the computer only controls the OD and lockup so if you pull the plug it can't go into lockup or OD. Should be fine for around the ranch. The 94's (don't know about 95's) don't have a limp home mode so you should get a check engine light but it should not effect anything.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
saltbranch

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
There is a 3 prong plug that plugs in towards the top of the tranny (not the Park/Neutral plug). Just unplug it. On the 94-95's the computer only controls the OD and lockup so if you pull the plug it can't go into lockup or OD. Should be fine for around the ranch. The 94's (don't know about 95's) don't have a limp home mode so you should get a check engine light but it should not effect anything.
Thankyou, I have been searching all day for info on this.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM
saltbranch

There is a 4 prong on top of the tranny with wires going into the pan area on the passenger side, a plug towards the back of the tranny on the drivers side( I am guessing speedo) the nuetral safety switch and a set of wires coming out of the top of the tranny, the wires go to a plug thats behind the distributor...I am guessing this is the one I need to unplug?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

I don't completely understand your post but I believe we are talking about the same connector. If it is on the drivers side connector out of the tranny is facing upwards and is mounted slightly rearward of the the P/N connector. I believe it is just a plain white/yellowish plastic connector coming out of the tranny. If you pull the wrong connector and try to start the truck you will not hurt anything.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
saltbranch

I found the plug, thanks gerehead8.
Did not solve my problem.When the truck is first started, you put it in gear, sometimes the idle will drop and its like the tranny locks up and kills the engine, sometimes not. I can shift into reverse, then go to drive, idle will drop, locks up and dies. Fire it back up shift R to D, shift back and forth several times and all is good. After idling for an hour or so, all is good. I have not driven the truck on the road yet due to inspections/insurance. Truck does not have the check valve and still looks like factory hoses.Tranny fluid is dirty and needs to be changed, which I will be doing that along with a tune up this weekend. Has 213k on it.
I paid 200.00 for the truck with intentions to use it our ranch, which I will for the next couple of months, if for nothing else to be able to drive it and feel it out some more.
I am really considering a father/son project with this truck as clean as it is, 1 dent from a blow out, no rust.If a tranny replacement is the answer in the long term, any suggestions from online vendors?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

I know the transgo shift kit I put in my tranny talked about its ability to prevent killing the engine in reverse (food for thought) but I don't think that applies in this case. I would suggest cleaning the TB and IAC (idle air control). I suspect its not a tranny issue at all. You may also need to adjust the TV (throttle valve) cable. Do a search for the proper procedure.

If the truck needs a new rebuild and you want it to be a father/son project have you considered rebuilding the tranny yourself. It may be daunting at first but it is actually pretty simple. It is also a lot cheaper than having it done. Otherwise for a stock rebuild I would look for a good local shop.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
saltbranch

[quote=Gerehead8;2310560]but I don't think that applies in this case. I would suggest cleaning the TB and IAC (idle air control). I suspect its not a tranny issue at all. You may also need to adjust the TV (throttle valve) cable. Do a search for the proper procedure.quote]

I finally got the truck upto the ranch and have driven it quite abit. Tranny shifts fine. I pulled 2000 lb bales of hay around with it, the hay buggy I have requires some force backing up to load...no slippage in reverse. Pulled the hay buggy around in sandy soil with no slippage in the tranny, spun the tires dragging the hay buggy thru the sand.
I still have the problem of idle dropping when I shift and truck dieing like the tranny locks up.Does not happen all the time,very sporadic.
I have searched IAC(not enough characters to use),idle air control with no luck, maybe I am doing it wrong. I hate to be a PITA, if someone could point me in the right direction on a thread on this it would be appreciated.
Also I have priced the IAC and TPS from Oriellys, would these be better from the dealer...or does it matter?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Try the stickies and FAQ's for cleaning the IAC. It is the sensor located on the rear of the TB, just spraying some TB cleaner and cleaning up the area may help. It will probably have a lot of carbon build up if the plenum is blown.

Not sure if purchase location matters.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
saltbranch

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
Try the stickies and FAQ's for cleaning the IAC. It is the sensor located on the rear of the TB, just spraying some TB cleaner and cleaning up the area may help. It will probably have a lot of carbon build up if the plenum is blown.

Not sure if purchase location matters.
Gerehead8, I really appreciate all your advice/help on this. This might be the best 200.00 truck I ever bought

Quick Reply: 1994 tranny question