2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hughes vs. aps questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Demoes4x
If you have the tools to do it fabricate a new plate using the stock one as a template.
We're still waiting for purple to show us his DIY on how to make a plate like he said he would years ago...JK purp!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Demoes4x
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
We're still waiting for purple to show us his DIY on how to make a plate like he said he would years ago...JK purp!!!
Here you go.

1/4" x 8" W x 17" L 7075T6 flat extrusion aluminum.

Use stock plate as template by clamping and transffering the hole pattern and shape.
Start cutting material and step drill holes starting with a .125 Dia. Dead center (Critical) up to .285 Dia. (full size).

I decided to go with more of a straight line profile on the lenght for added strenght.

Check your progress making sure your holes line up and there is no interference with the trim around the periphery. Debur and solvent clean.

Side view of both plates

Bolt new plate in place using the ORIGINAL bolts (no gascket) to check for riding/interference conditions by mounting and lining the keg back on top of the engine.

Once everything checks out remove keg and plate. Continue with normal installation process.

I hope this helps. Any questions you can post or PM me.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM
J415
Champion

Thanks for the post ^^^but I was just making fun or purp because he's been saying how he was gonna post a DIY for quite a while. It's an on going joke for certain members. That plate you made, however, came out real nice though. How much for the plate? did you use locktite on the bolts?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM
drewactual
Champion

And by the way, and for what its worth; promise follows:

I will never talk smack about Hughes again.

Sorry you've had to endure this dude.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:45 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

For what it is worth... I placed my order by calling in. Everything was included in my order but the pan was dicked up pretty bad. This is the sealing side.

And here is the reverse side with gunk on it.

A quick call to hughes got the situation squared away. I recieved the kit a few days before the weekend and explained that I already had arranged to replace this pan this weekend. He said he could send me one, but it wouldn't be there until next week. At this point I was between a rock and a hard place and asked what we could do about overnight shipping. He offered to split the bill with me and I said lets go for it. Recieved this in the mail friday night.

A lot better condition. Haha, and now we know exactly what aluminum the pans are made out of. I will say I was very happy with how everything turned out. I kept checking my credit card .... and the extra cost to overnight the pan never did show up

Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Hedrock

Thanks for the DIY write-up. This is nice info to have. I 'm not afraid to try projects like this but was just not really sure where to start. I guess my real comfort zone is VW's and this project that I have started on my truck is fairly new to me. I don't know how you guys feel about non Dodge pics but here is a pic of my bug. If there is a problem I will gladly remove it.

Name:  bugbuildpics3363.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  87.8 KB

I did get to talk to Wayne at APS yesterday and was assured again that my part will be here on Monday. I told him that I was getting a little frustrated because of the web site being down, returned e-mails and the non-returned phone calls. He told me that he's been sick and every thing would be fine, Guess we'll see what happens on Monday.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:32 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hedrock
I don't know how you guys feel about non Dodge pics but here is a pic of my bug. If there is a problem I will gladly remove it.
NICE! My first car was a VW bug. I did a lot of work restoring it with my Dad... it's always cool to see what people do with them.

Cartman

Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

VWandDodge will love that.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Demoes4x
Rookie

Originally Posted by J415
Thanks for the post ^^^but I was just making fun or purp because he's been saying how he was gonna post a DIY for quite a while. It's an on going joke for certain members. That plate you made, however, came out real nice though. How much for the plate? did you use locktite on the bolts?
You can buy some material for about $30 and the bolts for the plate came precoated with locktite from the dealership.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Demoes4x
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hedrock
Thanks for the DIY write-up. This is nice info to have. I 'm not afraid to try projects like this but was just not really sure where to start. I guess my real comfort zone is VW's and this project that I have started on my truck is fairly new to me. I don't know how you guys feel about non Dodge pics but here is a pic of my bug. If there is a problem I will gladly remove it.

I did get to talk to Wayne at APS yesterday and was assured again that my part will be here on Monday. I told him that I was getting a little frustrated because of the web site being down, returned e-mails and the non-returned phone calls. He told me that he's been sick and every thing would be fine, Guess we'll see what happens on Monday.
I have a 4seater sandrail with a VW 2276 dual webers. As a matter of fact I'm in Glamis right now as I type this post. Love vw's.

Quick Reply: hughes vs. aps questions