2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE shifting problems.. erratic shifting.. shifting too fast ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey one more question, i havent had any slips anymore since i adjusted the cable. However 2nd gear still shifts rough. Like it shifts at normall RPM's but itll shift rough as in the Truck jerks a little. Do you guys with the 46re have the same thing ? Just want to get a little more info about this since i cant change the solenoids due to cash flow.. Might as well ask this question.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Define Rough please. Does it pound into gear? Do RPMs flare before the gear engages? What???

Fluid level good? (check in neutral, not in park.)

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Doesnt "pound", and it doesnt jump rpms before it shifts. It'll just shift into the gear but the Jeep with Jerk, like your head will move kinda jerk. Fluid level is fine.. Person on the Jeep forums said the tranny isnt suppose to shift smooth, specially on wot... However mine shifts pretty smoothly on all the gears cept 2nd, and WOT i dont really feal it shifting i mean its shifting fine i just dont feal it on WOT. Both my Jeeps do this tho and the other one has no issues. I dunno if he knows what he is talking about, or if what he said is true..

Almost makes me want to go outside and move the TV cable back to get it to shift later and jerk more lol.

Last edited by candymancan; 11-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Adjust the bands maybe?

Check pressures? Might be a bad governor solenoid/pressure sensor.... although, I think the 1-2 shift is purely hydraulically controlled....... check the TV cable again? If it is too tight.... the trans thinks you are stepping on the pedal harder than you really are, so you will get harder (and later..) shifts....

Old 09-25-2018, 01:25 AM
Zackariah Mitcheltree
Default Late Shifts; Pounding into 2nd, not shifting out of 3

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 2WD.....I recently did a tune up on my truck; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and cleaned my throttle body as well. First drive after the tune up everything was fine, the next day I went to drive it and I noticed that the pedal was a little stiffer, and that it was having a hard time shifting through the gears, it would't get out of 1st until about 25mph at about 2500 rpm......wouldn't even go into 3rd until about 40 mph. While I put two and two together I figured throttle cable was snagged on something causing my throttle not to open properly....so I adjusted where my throttle cable was sitting......for a short while it drove fine after doing this....then I left the truck sitting for a few hours, went to run a few errands, and yet again hard shifts, not going into gear, shifting too late, but would operate and shift fine at WOT.....could somebody please give me some insight into what the issue may be?

Old 09-25-2018, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the TV cable. (throttle body to transmission.) Sounds like it's binding.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Jen Belle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Tv cable or kick down cable., engine off, fix throttle in open position, release tv cable lock adjustment. tv cable wants to be loose, adjust it snug not tight!!!! snug. .

The following users liked this post:
racerxv6 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:13 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jen Belle
Hello
Tv cable or kick down cable., engine off, fix throttle in open position, release tv cable lock adjustment. tv cable wants to be loose, adjust it snug not tight!!!! snug. .

So I went back and removed TV from TB and it had almost 1/2 " of tightness on it. I pressed the button since I have that type and set it again and she shifts much better. She's outta 1st by 1800-1900 rpms and then out of 2nd by 2700-2900 rpms. Truck shifts so much better. I will drive it for a couple and see how it all does. Thanks everyone for all you're support.

Quick Reply: 46RE shifting problems.. erratic shifting.. shifting too fast ?