2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slipping belts... not!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

e-fan = electric fan

Originally Posted by lvolson
Thank you all for the advice. After looking through the manual forever last night, I did find a short blurb about bearings that could go in the waterpump that would cause that noise. There was some mention about the fan clutch also.
I guess I'll do the "jiggle" test on everything.

Drew, thanks for the mod list. The SCT will probably be my first mod after I fix anything broken and/or breaking. I am not sure what an "e-fan" is but I'll look it up.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:57 PM
lvolson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider the plenum a "repair" so I will most likely wait on the SCT until that is done.

About the E fan... I assume there is a thread on it somewhere but since I have you here... what belt would I use (I assume a shorter one)?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider the plenum a "repair" so I will most likely wait on the SCT until that is done.

About the E fan... I assume there is a thread on it somewhere but since I have you here... what belt would I use (I assume a shorter one)?
nah, same belt.. pulley stays on there, it's just the clutch fan isn't attached anymore.. I actually have my old clutch fan in my truck box, on the 'count I was a little suspicious of the e-fan for a while... I figured if the e-fan failed, I could put the clutch fan back on right there on the side of the road..

I've had the e-fan on for a month and a half or so now, and I'm very pleased with it.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

E-fan just eliminates the fan. Doesn't change belt routing, or belt length. Still gotta turn the water pump.

Just relieves the engine of the strain of having to turn that fan all the time. Good for a few horsepower, and a more efficient cooling system.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95RAM360

and as for the 4.56's....just get a D60 front, and D607/70 rear with 4.10's....can do it with http://car-part.com for about $1,000 and those axles are WWWAAAAAYYYYY better then what you have now.....thats the way im going when im ready.
What would I search for to find the correct axles for my truck. I searched under 1996 1500 and only could get up to 3:90 and the price was like $1400 for just one axle. If I search for 2500 I can find the axles, but from what I understand that takes a bunch of modifications to use them. Thanks in advances for any help you can give me.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are looking for a DANA 44 front axle and a 9.25 Dodge rear. Good luck finding 4:10's from a JY. Not gonna happen.

EDIT, and you are right, there are mods that need to be done to swap in a D60. Forget it.

Last edited by zman17; 11-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM
lvolson
Rookie

I got tied up today so I never got to my water pump. For hahas I tried the WD40 test. After spraying a LOT of WD40 on the belt, the squealing stopped for about 5 seconds before slowly coming back.

Oh well. I want to play with it anyway.

EDIT: By the way, when I was shopping for waterpumps, I found the Edelbrock Victor Series Water pumps. They are about twice the cost of the one I bought. After reading about the e-fans, Tuners maing engines run hot, etc., I started thinking a "high performance" waterpump seems like a good investment... again, assuming my problem is the waterpump.

Last edited by lvolson; 11-14-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I got tied up today so I never got to my water pump. For hahas I tried the WD40 test. After spraying a LOT of WD40 on the belt, the squealing stopped for about 5 seconds before slowly coming back.

Oh well. I want to play with it anyway.

EDIT: By the way, when I was shopping for waterpumps, I found the Edelbrock Victor Series Water pumps. They are about twice the cost of the one I bought. After reading about the e-fans, Tuners maing engines run hot, etc., I started thinking a "high performance" waterpump seems like a good investment... again, assuming my problem is the waterpump.
I am not really sure how I feel about "high performance" water pumps..... its a pump. it moves water. but, only when the thermostat lets it. Does the velocity of water moving past the thermo make a difference? I really can't see it..... It might make the heater work better..... Now, if it was a higher quality build, with better seals/bearings/whathaveyou, that lasted twice as long as the pump for half the price, I could almost justify the additional cost. Almost.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM
lvolson
Rookie

Here is what they CLAIM to do. How much different it is from any other waterpump, who knows? They claim only 1% difference between the sides... if a regular pump has 2%, I suppose you don't gain much. I guess I'll have to look into the regualr pumps.

Of course, this is why I never get anything done... I always have to optimize.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
lvolson
Rookie

We now have.... wait for it...
SILENCE OF THE RAM!
(sorry, had to do it!)

I took the belt off last night and did the wiggle test on everything. Decided since the waterpump was not loose and showed no signs of leaks that it was ok.

The tensioner was older than dirt and pretty weak (I am pretty sure it was the original.). For hahas, I replaced the idler pulley and drive belt at the same time. Though I can't say for certain which part fixed the squeal, because the belt and idler were almost new, my money is on the tensioner!

Quick Reply: Slipping belts... not!