2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

smoke then no smoke then some more smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, but it doesnt matter where the exhaust is cut off.

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
well hea said he has the exhaust chopped, so if some of the oil is hitting the exhaust, , then it will smoke around the same area where its chopped.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the man says it's white, and that it does it more at night and when it's cold..

it acts like oil for certain, right?

does it do it after it's been running a while?

I'm starting to figure PCV.. how long since you changed that rascal? Does it rattle when you shake it? It could be sticking open (or stuck open) and siphoning straight out of your valve covers..

that is a plastic piece... it would have to be pretty cold, and he didn't list where he is at- bit there is a chance, however slim, that it is constricting when contracted and holding open.. I'd swap the dang thing anyway.. it's only like $3..

Last edited by drewactual; 11-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That little plastic piece on the passenger valve cover? , i can feel it tickkin when i touch it and if i give it gas it ticks a hole lot more, and i live in lousiana and the temp shud be dropin to freezing any day now,and i dont have oil slung everywhere so i dont think it my rear main seal

Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by drewactual
the man says it's white, and that it does it more at night and when it's cold..

it acts like oil for certain, right?

does it do it after it's been running a while?

I'm starting to figure PCV.. how long since you changed that rascal? Does it rattle when you shake it? It could be sticking open (or stuck open) and siphoning straight out of your valve covers..

that is a plastic piece... it would have to be pretty cold, and he didn't list where he is at- bit there is a chance, however slim, that it is constricting when contracted and holding open.. I'd swap the dang thing anyway.. it's only like $3..
Ok white smoke, sorry, I see it in the first post.

Originally Posted by 98BIGRED5.9Gas
That little plastic piece on the passenger valve cover? , i can feel it tickkin when i touch it and if i give it gas it ticks a hole lot more, and i live in lousiana and the temp shud be dropin to freezing any day now,and i dont have oil slung everywhere so i dont think it my rear main seal
The ticking is normal , but I'd replace it like Drew said. I'm thinking condensation anyway. Unless it does it on warm days too. And what's freezing in lousiana? 55 degrees?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM
drewactual
Champion

The passenger side is just a breather... It keeps pressure from building. The driver side is the PCV, and it connects through a substantial hose to your intake- which means its vacuuming oil straight out of your driver side VC's if its stuck open. I've never seen it happen personally, but it would do what your explaining if it is.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Lol frezziin is freezin idk who u r, and the pcv on driver side connects to the air hat and i got a vacum lin from the brake booster to the intake and thats all thats on drivver side, i un hooked the passenger side line and the truck is runnin better, im bout to head to town to pick up new valves now

Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Whatever on the freezing! (which was a joke btw). But not all year Rams have the same pcv setup. Some are on the left and some are on the right VC, depending on year. The pcv valve itself is connected to the intake manifold directly , and the pcv ELBOW is connected to the air intake (or air hat as you put it). It's hollow and does nothing else besides connect that hose to the air intake. If it's broke here is the part # Name:  DSCF0498-1.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  25.1 KB . And this is what it looks like Name:  47079.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  5.8 KB

Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

then the pcv on mine is on the passenger side and the smoke still didnt go away but its pretty chilli out today so could it really just be steam?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
drewactual
Champion

Does it do it if anyone else is driving it?

I'm leaning toward it don lik u at this point.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

lol its a well know fact that my truck and me have a love hate relationship, and at 175k i have a new tranny a tcase, im thinkin about getting a new motor entirely , becuse its just one problem after another, any idea on which way i shud go

Quick Reply: smoke then no smoke then some more smoke