2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater and AC Airflow Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
johnrhall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater and AC Airflow Issue

HELP PLEASE! I am in North Dakota and it is getting very cold. I have a 1995 Ram 1500, 5.9L, 2W. The fan motor works (I hear it), the heater core is fine because I feel heat, the AC works too. The issue is airflow to vents (floor or dash). I have very minimal (hardly noticeable) air flow on either heat or AC. It used to blow fine (very strong on full and less as I turned down the fan motor). But now, barley any air flow and I am freezing and the truck will be useless here soon because it gets very, very cold here, like -25 degrees. Thanks..... PS: It's not crazy vents syndrome which is all I found in my searches and was already resolved a long time ago when I fixed the cruise control with the servo line.

Last edited by johnrhall; 11-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Have a look underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield. That is where the intake for your heater is. If that is clogged with leaves and such, you will have poor air flow. To test that little theory, put the truck on max a/c, any temp, doesn't matter, and see if you get good airflow. (on max, it just recirculates the cabin air, and draws very little outside air, if airflow doesn't change on max, yank the blower motor, and make sure the fan is still attached to the motor shaft...)

Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 AM
johnrhall
Default Solved

My airflow problem was resolved … it was that the AC compressor relay was bad and therefore the AC never quit running and condensation collected, froze and blocked the air flow – amazing! The reason the airflow was strong – normal -- sometimes is that the temperature would raise just barley above freezing then return to freezing; looking back, the problem began with the weather change from above freezing to freezing.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for letting us know. A lot of people don't come back and give us the fix.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM
johnrhall

Your welcome ... It takes a village - this forum is great.

Quick Reply: Heater and AC Airflow Issue