2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TB came in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: TB came in the mail

just remember, the more you open it up, the higher the power goes up the rpm range. it's my opinion and experience that if you want better milage, the best thing to do is increase your low end torque. the more you have up to 2500 rpm's the better the gas milage. I'm looking for a balance between upper end hp and low end tq. I've had both on my truck, just not at the same time and I think it's kinda like a teeter totter, one end goes up, the other goes down.

right now my motor screams above 3500 rpm's... but it rarely sees it so it's a "nice to have" and not a necessity like the low end. Anyway, from what i can tell on your truck your doing what you should do to keep the low end torque so I'd still say there MUST be something wrong somewhere for you to get that bad mpg. have you checked your fuel pressure? what about your map sensor and IAT? both of those sensors can make your mpg drop if they are bad. they Should throw a code though. Actually, if you havent done it yet and are going to swap any sensors... the map would be the 1st place I'd start.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
1500sport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

how is your exhaust setup? I know when I had dual out 2.5's I was down to 11 mpg. went to dual 2.25's and it made a huge difference.

any mod that will increase your low end torque should help on gas milage since, if you think about it, most of your driving is below 2500 rpm's when your cruising. so the more power and torque you have, the better the milage (less throttle to get going and to maintain your speed).

also, I dont think your truck is 6000 lbs, the diesels are around 5k and they are the heaviest of them all (for the 2nd gen rams). you might be looking at the GVWR which would be cargo and passangers and the weight of the truck... yours is a 1/2 ton I assume?
Hate to disappoint you about the weight but you better do some research. My dad had a 3/4 ton with a diesel ext. cab 4x4 and it was around 6600 lbs (rough estimate can't remember exactly) so a half ton ext cab 4x4 would probably be pushing close to 6000 lbs or a little over. I had a 93 dakota ext. cab 4x4 that weighed in at 4400 lbs (know that for a fact) and I know the full sizes are a lot heavier. Seen a 3/4 ton v10 reg cab long bed 4x4 go about 6200 lb.

Also if you ever go to a truck pull that has diesel trucks they allow up to 8000 lbs because some of the big dually crew cab 4x4's are over 7000 lbs.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: 1500sport

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

how is your exhaust setup? I know when I had dual out 2.5's I was down to 11 mpg. went to dual 2.25's and it made a huge difference.

any mod that will increase your low end torque should help on gas milage since, if you think about it, most of your driving is below 2500 rpm's when your cruising. so the more power and torque you have, the better the milage (less throttle to get going and to maintain your speed).

also, I dont think your truck is 6000 lbs, the diesels are around 5k and they are the heaviest of them all (for the 2nd gen rams). you might be looking at the GVWR which would be cargo and passangers and the weight of the truck... yours is a 1/2 ton I assume?
Hate to disappoint you about the weight but you better do some research. My dad had a 3/4 ton with a diesel ext. cab 4x4 and it was around 6600 lbs (rough estimate can't remember exactly) so a half ton ext cab 4x4 would probably be pushing close to 6000 lbs or a little over. I had a 93 dakota ext. cab 4x4 that weighed in at 4400 lbs (know that for a fact) and I know the full sizes are a lot heavier. Seen a 3/4 ton v10 reg cab long bed 4x4 go about 6200 lb.

Also if you ever go to a truck pull that has diesel trucks they allow up to 8000 lbs because some of the big dually crew cab 4x4's are over 7000 lbs.

yup, I'm wrong...my truck weighs in at 5124 stock (curb weight, most likely with full fluids) according to this site... http://www.autos.com/autos/truck/ful...18/performance

add the bigger tires and that weight goes up...

I didnt realize my truck was that heavy... thought it was around 4500 lbs.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, from what i can tell on your truck your doing what you should do to keep the low end torque so I'd still say there MUST be something wrong somewhere for you to get that bad mpg. have you checked your fuel pressure? what about your map sensor and IAT? both of those sensors can make your mpg drop if they are bad. they Should throw a code though. Actually, if you havent done it yet and are going to swap any sensors... the map would be the 1st place I'd start

Thanks Steve, anything can help, I have looked at sensor failure signs and I dont have any i will check and clean when I do the swap, as for fuel pressure, can you explain what to look for, too much, too little, how do I measure....my truck is staying in the 18-19-2000 RPM range @60 MPH with 3.92's, I dont speed alot, keep off the tire burning cause tire price's is getting about as stupid as fuel prices

Old 06-10-2005, 01:26 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

what about your wires, cap, rotor and plugs...? what's the gap on the plugs? too wide will also hurt mpg, crappy wires will for sure. Also, i hate to say it but a bad torque converter has also caused problems, but if it were bad you'd be having some more sever acceleration issues.

fuel pressure should be around 49 psi (check your manual) and can be measured at the fuel rail provided there is a schrader valve to connect the guage to. How many miles on your motor? is it possible your timing chain has jumped? mine had an inch or more of play and I think it jumped a tooth...

Quick Reply: TB came in the mail