2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What does a bad motor mount feel like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
chrscott
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does a bad motor mount feel like?

I have a what I thouhgt was a miss at idle, but I am now wondering if it could be a bad motor/engine mount.

I have some steady, almost loping vibration, and I will randomly get a slightly more violent shake. This happens when in gear idling (sitting at a light). Also, the severity and frequency of the miss and loping change intermittently (randomly).

This happens warm or cold.

Things done to date:
-timing chain
-tune up (plugs, cap, rotor)
-ignition coil
-all lifters (had one that would not pump oil)
-Plenum gasket
-up stream O2 sensor
-TSB plug wire routing
-Cleaned throttle body and IAC (removed, on bench)
-Replaced Fuel Injector O-rings (had vacuum leak)

What does a bad motor mount feel like?

I did some searching and found the best way to test a bad a motor mount is to have someone put it in gear, step on the brake, and give it a bit of gas (to load the driveline), then to watch the motor and motor mount for movement. Is there a better way to test a motor mount?

Is it common on these trucks for motor mounts to go bad?

My truck is a 2001, 2500, 5.9L gas, 46RE (auto), 170000 km. I believe the previous owner used to tow a horse trailer on the highway.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Gaius
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an engine is running smooth, you shouldn't get any motor mount movement at idle.

Doing the rev test with the brake on is good. Also you can jam a prybar where you can move the engine and watch the mount. A real wasted motor mount will be visibly broken. Also, if you've had an oil leak onto a mount (like the trans mount) for a while, it's safe to say the rubber is wasted. Oil breaks rubber down.

Quick Reply: What does a bad motor mount feel like?