2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM
KMerenda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500 Shakes

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 XLT V8. I just took it for brake repairs - had one rotor replaced, another turned, and pads replaced. A few days after the brake repair, my check engine light came on, but with no noticeable problem. The next day, the car started to shake in the lower RPM ranges. While idling in gear, I notice the idle is a bit rougher than usual. While driving, I've noticed if I am between 1000 and 1800 RPM's, and holding the gas to maintain a steady speed, the truck starts to shake - very noticeably. The truck is an automatic transmission.

I don't know jack about cars. If you know what this might be caused by, or have any suggestions on what to check, please write in car moron terms. I know how to change my oil, and add transmission and brake fluid - thats it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the codes checked, and we can go from there, any chain auto part store will read the codes for free

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

My dad's 02 Ram 1500 did this. Also produced a very fine vibration, much like a bass speaker.
Turns out the front and rear u-joints were binding and rusted. Truck also had a cyl. 3 misfire, spark plug cooked itself apparently.
So, after $600 worth of work, the truck drives fine now.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Take a look at your u-joints.

*EDIT*
Since you mentioned you had a brake job done, you might have a caliper catching. My dad's truck did that too.
Once again, $600 worth of work later, the truck had brakes and was drivable again.

Last edited by dodge dude94; 11-18-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
KMerenda

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
My dad's 02 Ram 1500 did this. Also produced a very fine vibration, much like a bass speaker.
Turns out the front and rear u-joints were binding and rusted. Truck also had a cyl. 3 misfire, spark plug cooked itself apparently.
So, after $600 worth of work, the truck drives fine now.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Take a look at your u-joints.

*EDIT*
Since you mentioned you had a brake job done, you might have a caliper catching. My dad's truck did that too.
Once again, $600 worth of work later, the truck had brakes and was drivable again.
The brake job and/or u-joints will set off the Check Engine light? Also, those issues will cause an increased vibration during in-gear idle?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Whoops, missed the part about the CEL. But, no, they will not set the CEL.
A bad misfire, however, will. There have been, if I remember correctly (and don't quote me on this!), cases of truck that have had BAD misfires and they have had shaking.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
KMerenda
Default Spark Plugs?

Forgot to mention, I bought the truck used in 2005, and I have never replaced the spark plugs or had a tune-up.

A co-worker is suggesting replacing the spark plugs and wires. Everyone agree that's a good place to start?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by KMerenda
Forgot to mention, I bought the truck used in 2005, and I have never replaced the spark plugs or had a tune-up.

A co-worker is suggesting replacing the spark plugs and wires. Everyone agree that's a good place to start?
It would certainly not be a bad idea. Definitely can only help if it has been that long without a tune up.

Get a copper plug (our trucks don't tend to like platinums) - autolite, ngk, etc. is fine, a set of plug wires, and a distributor cap/rotor. While you're at the parts store, have them check your check engine light as well and relay the info back to us so we can try to help you out a bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Saber6
Rookie

My .02 cents... What ever you do to one side on the breaks, do to the other. Resurfacing the rotor is different than replacing.

As for the check engine light... it is likely a just a coincidence that it lit up after you did brakes. As for the tune up stuff, everything mentioned above can be changed out by a "non-gearhead". It's easy. You will be amazed how much better your truck will run when you are done.

Oh, and when you are replacing spark plug wires and the distributor cap, DO IT ONE WIRE AT A TIME. Otherwise, you might get the wires out of order and you'll be on this site talking about the firing order of the ignition.

Last edited by Saber6; 11-18-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
KMerenda

Update: Took the truck to Autozone for a scan, and got P0308 - Misfire Detected on Cylinder 8. Bought a spark plug, but the old one was welded in. Took the truck to my mechanic and dropped it off. Waiting to hear the results.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since #8 is the code, the plenum is blown, cat is clogged and the precat o2 needs to be replaced as well.

edit and btw, as far as reading codes goes, you can do that yourself. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 Shakes