2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to remove center section of 40-20-40 front seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:12 PM
wombat457
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the others, it looks great! If mine turns out half that good, I will be happy

"...There is a thread in here, that does have a guy that built a console like yours, if you search you will find it. I forget the name of the thread..."

I will try to find that thread as well.

RM Indy:

Thanks for the advice. What I have found (now I have the center seat out) is it sits on "rails" only, which the original seat was bolted to, as RamSport97 said. I have decided to use those rails as the console support, as well as the existing bolt holes to attach the new console to. This will allow me to re attach the electrics to the bottom of the new console, as it was originally, and allow me to run venting through it to the rear area. I should have mentioned I have an extended cab truck so I have a little more work to be completed to connect the front to the rear.

Once I have some of the main structure completed I will post some pictures, primarily for critisism and advice as this is the first console I have attempted.

My quandry now is how to finish it. My first thoughts were to fiber glass the entire structure for added strength and durability. My second thought was to do as RamSPort97 has done, use ply/MDF then apholster/carpet it to match the rest of the interior.

After seeing RamSport97's completed product, I think I will build mine in modules rather than one peice. After spending a couple of hours cutting 3 ply to use as a template, I am fairly convinced of the "modular" method.

Thanks to all above for your input it is appreciated and, I hope, my effort turns out half as good as RamSport 97's.

Cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

I would buy one of those. It looks great and I've been looking for something to replace the factory console and seat.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

nice real nice

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasnt sure what year you had Wombat
Btw, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
I know my 99s seats are different but Ive never crawled around to find out what the subframe changes actually were.
If its going to be a large console then modular is the way to go.

Ive planned on a console since adding the buckets.
Never made it on my yearly mod list as performance always had precedence.
With enough performance capabilities to split the block down the middle, it may finally make it on the "list"
When it finally happens, it will be f/g for sure, 2 sections, possibly 3.

Ramsport, nice job, looks great!

Last edited by RM_Indy; 11-21-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
wombat457
Default Console Update ...

Hi Guys -

Firstly, thank you RM Indy for your welcome and I apologise for the delay in responding.

Things have been moving slowly with the console, primarily as a result of changing design ideas. I eventually settle on one, and from what materials it should be built.

Here is a (rather poor) picture of the project thus far, bearing in mind that much is yet to be done:

The base construction is from:

3/4 ply (for the main arm rest and compartment)
1/2 ply for the center section
Balsa and 3/8 ply for the dash component.

At this point, I am (possibly) going to fiber glass the "dash component", have purchased Naugahyde Universal Marine Grade Graphite Vinyl and 1/2" Poly Foam for the Arm Rest and top sections and will most likely carpet the sides to blend in with the truck carpet, which will also be replaced at some point.

The Dash component has been cut and shaped (Balsa) to match the existing dash lines with the addition of the 45 degree switch panel. The switches to go in are Fog Lights, Under Hood Lights, Panel Lights and Courtesy Lights.

The main center portion will remain as is - nothing more than a "Fill" between the arm rest and dash, and a place to put "clutter" no doubt It "may contain" one courtesy light driver/passenger sides - that is yet to be determined.

The Arm Rest itself will have a false floor, about 5" above the mounting plate. Beneath this will sit a 4 Channel Amp for my sound system. I intend (space provided) to run air vents to the rear of the arm rest, whether that happens or not will depend on how much room (if any) I have left once the amp goes in. The front of the Arm Rest contains two (2) cup-holders ( the whole reason for this project in the first place) and a forward facing interior courtesy light for the console and dash component.

Anyway, that is the plan and how things look at the moment.

Again, thanks for all the advice - had it not been for the info re getting the jump seat out in the first place, this would never have eventuated!

Cheers to all,

Wombat

Quick Reply: how to remove center section of 40-20-40 front seat