2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yes.. HID Thread, Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
ram74jt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rawrr
Well where to start: (This might get confusing really fast, apologies)

Okay so I am going to start by saying I am no electrician (However I did remember to take the ground off the battery).

So as it stands I have my "high beam" light clicked on when the lows are one. When I click it off the light just dimm's and then all the lights power on. These lights are BRIGHT. If I could do it all over again, 35W lows would have been perfect and 55W highs aren't even necessary. Should have listened!!!

Okay so heres the recap.. When these lights came in, I got 4 55w ballasts (all the same), in seperate plain white boxes, then I also got 2 HID 9007 Bulb/wiring harness in one box, 2 HID 9004 Bulb/Wiring harness in another box, and two Wiring harnesses for additional power and stability. (Power/Ground, then power to 2 ballasts w/ fuses).

No directions came in so I went online and found something relatively similiar, but nothing had mentioned that they come in a three prong configuration With one of the outside pins active, and one of the center pins active. (Dodge's are different than any other manufacturer)

The tech support agent of the phone from DDM had been a little stumped (Partially because of me trying to explain it Im guessing). Basically he decided I had to move the black wire to the outside, leaving the middle unactive on the actual bulb plugin. This allowed the bulbs to flicker, then power on. Perfect! They work! Okay well now im working at turning off the highs while driving, and getting the lows to work..

Basically I fail at HID Installation 101, but I don't quit. When I have more time I will inform you all what else is going on and hopefully have a bulletproof way of how to install these in your 4 bulb headlamp system!
Did you purchase the dual in/out relay harness from DDM? I did for my set-up but only used it to power the balast. I had connection A (seen on photobucket link) to connect to nothing. Is this correct?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...ng_harness.jpg

Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rawrr
Basically I fail at HID Installation 101, but I don't quit. When I have more time I will inform you all what else is going on and hopefully have a bulletproof way of how to install these in your 4 bulb headlamp system!
The whole issue is the fact that the headlight system Chrysler uses is ground activated. Rather than no power to anything and, when you flip the switch, power goes to the appropriate wire (like most things), Chrysler decided that everything should have power, and that the switch would control which wire gets grounded to activate the appropriate light. I'm sure the engineers had/have their reasons for that sort of a system, but I've never been able to figure out why they did it that way.

It makes wiring up relays, which is what I did, very interesting. You basically have to do them in reverse relative to what you'd normally do. Granted, I didn't do HIDs (yet).

Rather than buying that wiring harness from DDM, you can wire up a similar thing yourself, and use relays to save your headlamp switch (it is weak as it is).

Unfortunately for a later sport model like yours, you'd have a lot more wiring to do (and 4 relays), since you have 4 bulbs instead of the "normal" 2.

Last edited by jasonw; 12-02-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my HID's from DDM will post up some pics of the difference between there two kits, the raptor, and there slim kit, and whenever I get my truck back you will get some pics of them installed

Quick Reply: Yes.. HID Thread, Help please.