2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yes.. HID Thread, Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
rawrr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes.. HID Thread, Help please.

Hello,

I have been searching through this forum for an answer and after about a half hour of searching I figured I would just post a new thread.

I am going to buy some HID lights for my pickup, simply because I don't feel like the Silvania Xtravision bulbs are giving me enough light.

I have read that the 35W 6000K is a neutral white w/ a little blue tint, and the 55W 8000K is very similiar to that kit. With this said I want to install some 55W 8000K HID's w/ ballast/relay/etc in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SPORT (4 Headlamp system).

Now I have even picked out the particular company I want to buy from, DDM Tuning.

I am thinking of doing high and low beams, 9007 Low / 9004 High.

Here is the dilemma: I haven't been able to find out all the information needed to order these lights and conversion kits. I am using stock headlight housing, they are very clear as I just replaced them both with OEM this summer.

Does anyone know if I need to order two seperate kits? Is it pretty easy installation? (They do give a PDF with the installation and I am fairly mechanically inclined)

Here is what they list:

DDM HID Kit, 55W, 9007, 8000K Bulb Color: 8000K
Bulb Type: 9007
Wattage: 55 Watt (+$10.00)

Now this would be for the lows, do I also need to buy the 9004 kit? And will they work simutaneously, just "bolt on" and done?

Thanks any information is appreciated, and if you have a better kit to go with I am willing to look at alternatives.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

For a 2001 Sport, yes, you need both a 9004 kit for your inner 9004 bulbs (highs) and a kit for the 9007 outer bulbs (lows). Personally, I'd get a 55w kit for your 9004s (since you won't have high beams on with oncoming traffic anyway), and a 35w kit for your lows. 55w lows (9007s) will probably get you tickets/police attention, as that will be far to bright, it will blind oncoming traffic. The "normal" 35w kits blind oncoming traffic as it is with stock housings.

Installation SHOULD (in theory) be straight forward.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Warp103

I seen it done but issues come in with the aim of the lights. Blinding drives and some HID light patterns are weird. I though about that for my 99 1500 but went with halo Projectors with angel eyes. Way better then stock and have not had issue with blinding drivers( took 2 mins for aiming and leveling)

Last edited by Warp103; 11-22-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sig pic not showing
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM
ram74jt
Amateur

warp- are you running halogen or hid coversion bulbs in the projector?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Warp103

Halogens H1 High Beam And H3 Low Beam Light Bulbs. and I can tell you compared to stock brighter and better angle and throw. on The darkest road it is better then having both the stock and fog lights on. I am ordering a set of fog light from the same Company. and hell the angel eye make good drl if you install them to work anytime the acc are on.
Most have it installed to the parking lights but I wanted the full time effect and not worry about turning them off

Last edited by Warp103; 11-22-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
rawrr
Amateur

Awesome I just ordered them today. I will let you all know how it goes and if I have time make a step by step installation thread ! With Before and After Results. They should be here by latest Wednesday.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Warp103

I would have done so but there is a video for the install. As for the DRl for the Angel Eyes. I got a Led Rocker switch #40393 from Autozone. two small spools of Automotive wire one red and one black. I ran a lines between the angel eyes. I rooted them under the rad were the lines run for the lights. I use a multi wire connects for both red and black so I had weather tight connections. To make sure that I had a good ground I left a pig tail{black} right to battery. I had one line of each color follow the root of the hood release and thought the gommet of hood release. Black wire went to earth ground on switch. Red line went to center load connection and made a new line to attached to Window fuse {did a under dash tap}.that was if the it is fuse and would know windows not working then no angel eyes. {Windows only work when Key in the on/ run position see draw pic and do not laugh to loud

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Warp103

bumpp

Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 PM
rawrr
Amateur

Originally Posted by jasonw
Installation SHOULD (in theory) be straight forward.
Well where to start: (This might get confusing really fast, apologies)

Okay so I am going to start by saying I am no electrician (However I did remember to take the ground off the battery).

So as it stands I have my "high beam" light clicked on when the lows are one. When I click it off the light just dimm's and then all the lights power on. These lights are BRIGHT. If I could do it all over again, 35W lows would have been perfect and 55W highs aren't even necessary. Should have listened!!!

Okay so heres the recap.. When these lights came in, I got 4 55w ballasts (all the same), in seperate plain white boxes, then I also got 2 HID 9007 Bulb/wiring harness in one box, 2 HID 9004 Bulb/Wiring harness in another box, and two Wiring harnesses for additional power and stability. (Power/Ground, then power to 2 ballasts w/ fuses).

No directions came in so I went online and found something relatively similiar, but nothing had mentioned that they come in a three prong configuration With one of the outside pins active, and one of the center pins active. (Dodge's are different than any other manufacturer)

The tech support agent of the phone from DDM had been a little stumped (Partially because of me trying to explain it Im guessing). Basically he decided I had to move the black wire to the outside, leaving the middle unactive on the actual bulb plugin. This allowed the bulbs to flicker, then power on. Perfect! They work! Okay well now im working at turning off the highs while driving, and getting the lows to work..

Basically I fail at HID Installation 101, but I don't quit. When I have more time I will inform you all what else is going on and hopefully have a bulletproof way of how to install these in your 4 bulb headlamp system!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Warp103

the main thing you have to do is map the lights with a 12 volt meter and this will the you when you have power and from which wires. then it a matter of splicing old connector to the new one or go to a JY and get ones from a donor for the splicing. Check out post 7 on thishttps://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...solutions.html

Quick Reply: Yes.. HID Thread, Help please.