2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed

Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Rj9909
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do remeber installing the gaskets correctly, they where labled which side had to go towards the plenum and you would really have to try to get them on upside down seeing as they had those head gasket cutouts on the ends. I am just heading out the door to start working on it starting with a retorque with some added ft. lbs. hopefully that does the trick.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

do not over-torque the intake.

the intake acts like a wedge down into the block, if you overtorque the intake, you'll either crack the intake like an egg, or pull the block apart and crack it at the cam tunnel. neither is a good idea.

I know that 14ft/lbs. sounds like its barely anymore than 12ft/lbs. But it's actually about 18% more torque than the intake was designed for. it's not a good solution IMHO. 12.5ft/lbs would be a better bet.

It's odd, because this is the one place I've never seen coolant leak from in my engine. Tstat housing, heater lines, waterpump and timing cover, yes. Never seen it leak from the manifold or head gaskets.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
littletunny
Rookie

like everyone is say, its those front bolts by the water passage i would be looking.

Though when i did mine i left the front drivers side bolt out cause i broke it off.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain, when I did mine I finished everything and cleaned everything up. Only to break off the coolant temperature sensor into the manifold at the end.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Rj9909

Well i never did get to the truck. I went to work on it then I ended up just cleaning the garage and organizing tools. working 7 10's so it is hard to find the time to get to work on it.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just run 'ah...she'll be good lol

Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Rj9909

well I finally got to working on the truck and found the coolant leak after doing some searching. The leak was actually from the threaded adapter piece the threads into the top of the water pump were the hose connects. The threaded pice wasnt even sealed and threaded in tight, it was reaslly loose and it is a brand new GMB water pump from the partsbin.com. I got the truck back together and started it up, no leak, but she still runs rough and backfires out the intake when you stomp on the gas. im not sure but i think that it may be from the 21lb/hr accell injectors that i installed, and of course i dont kave any of the old injectors. SOB! I just want the truck to run good so that I can use the damn thing to haul my new 2010 arctic cat F8 up north and get some miles on her.

Also when I did the plenum repair i did the kegger mod since i had access to a bridgport at school. I got a different plenum that was a non egr so i didnt have to go through the process of blocking off the port, but now i am stumped as what to do with the electrical connector that connected to the egr assembly. Right now i have it plugged in and laying there so that i wouldnt get an EGR code.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there's another thread going on about injectors, and the differences in years, and pressures, and delivery rates.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ectors-go.html

where are your old injectors? and why can't you reinstall them?
could you get an exact original set from the junk yard for your year and engine.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 01-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM
outdoortoys
Amateur

seems like I read a thread about the throttle body's would not interchange between the egr and the non egr intakes. They have different TB.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Accel injectors tend to fail when pressurized above their rated amount, but typically that's about 20psi too much not 6psi.

Id verify the plug wires are on snug, as a loose one will fire fine at idle but miss at higher RPMs. Also think about swapping all the plugs or at least checking the gaps. Its rare, but bum plugs do exist.

Might want to verify the coil resistance too. A bad coil tends to act up when it gets pushed harder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed