2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by outdoortoys
seems like I read a thread about the throttle body's would not interchange between the egr and the non egr intakes. They have different TB.
No diff on the TBs.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by drewactual
check your oil too.. if it's mixed in the crankcase but not the cooling system it's most likely you either didn't get the gasket on there straight, or as DV said, you didn't get a good torque..

you didn't re-use the bolts did you?
Bah...I've been using the same button top Stainless Steel bolts on numerous intake installs for years. NEVER had a problem.

Here.... http://www.nmbuilder.com/Dakota_RT_mods.html

Last edited by Adobedude; 01-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Bah...I've been using the same button top Stainless Steel bolts on numerous intake installs for years. NEVER had a problem.

Here.... http://www.nmbuilder.com/Dakota_RT_mods.html
If the ones you speak of aren't torque to yield, it shouldn't be a problem.. most often, when you buy manifold bolts (with the possible exception of exhaust) they ARE TTY, and reusing them is a HUGE mistake.

btw- followed your link.. that is one nice kota dude.. it certainly looks like you know your stuff! I really dig the location of your gauges.. I would never have thought of that.

Last edited by drewactual; 01-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by drewactual
If the ones you speak of aren't torque to yield, it shouldn't be a problem.. most often, when you buy manifold bolts (with the possible exception of exhaust) they ARE TTY, and reusing them is a HUGE mistake.
Why is it a huge problem...LOL

No one I know any Dakota R/T forum uses em, and we're talking some 10 second trucks here...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have fun with that then, and good luck.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think there is a misunderstanding here...

The manufacturor used TTY bolts on the intake manifold. My guess is that they have a bit better clamping force at low torque yield.

You can use aftermarket grade 5 bolts and reuse them. I do, but I have found that I must use a dab of loktite to keep them from backing out. I also suggest stainless, as there is a lot of corrosion that happens to those bolts for some reason. I wonder if its due to condensation in the crankcase.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Rj9909
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Accel injectors tend to fail when pressurized above their rated amount, but typically that's about 20psi too much not 6psi.

Id verify the plug wires are on snug, as a loose one will fire fine at idle but miss at higher RPMs. Also think about swapping all the plugs or at least checking the gaps. Its rare, but bum plugs do exist.

Might want to verify the coil resistance too. A bad coil tends to act up when it gets pushed harder.
Along with everything else that was done I also purchased the tune up kit from hughes so the plugs are brand new accell, new wires, cap, and rotor. Today I am going to go through and check that all the wires are correct and I am going to pick up some ngk plugs seeing as the is what my first choice for plugs would have been, and also I will test the coil for resistance.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
No diff on the TBs.
I gave a throttle body from a 96 a bit of a shave and put it on mine and I believe the 96's have EGR. No problems here.
Originally Posted by Rj9909
Along with everything else that was done I also purchased the tune up kit from hughes so the plugs are brand new accell, new wires, cap, and rotor. Today I am going to go through and check that all the wires are correct and I am going to pick up some ngk plugs seeing as the is what my first choice for plugs would have been, and also I will test the coil for resistance.
By check that all the wires are correct do you mean routing? I had all four wires backwards on the driver side of the engine when I did my plenum because I read the routing diagram upside down. It ran fine at idle but when I revved it up I almost shat myself because it backfired.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Rj9909
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the routing of the wires.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no egr in 96.....heard a couple people have had egr manifolds that where blocked from factory but never seen pics

I would check the plugs closely for cracks, while swapping them out, also get regular cheap copper plugs, none of them fancy metals you cant say right

Autolites and stock champions seem to work best in our motors while a few have had luck with fancy $5+ plugs most go back to the cheapies as they work better

Quick Reply: Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed