2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Evap? Is there a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
01Rammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap? Is there a problem?

I am throwing evaporative emissions code(both of them) i was just wondering could this cause any problems? I have not really paid any attention to it. But in another post a guy said he was getting horrible gas mileage from it and what not. What does this code involve? Evap canister, lines, hoses, fuel tank, etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Ralpho
Amateur

I just bought a 2000 1500 and am getting P1495 what code does yours say. I just got a scanner and can look up the code. If that helps

Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 PM
SawFan862
Amateur

I have the same issue, in my case though I know the issue, my evaprotive canisters are broken in multiple places. I would check all the hoses, starting from the engine bay, working to the evap canister(s), and to the fuel tank. On a single cab, and quad cab, the canisters are different (who knows why!). But this does kill Mpg, i was getting 13, but now i get more like 11-9mpg.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Ralpho
Amateur

Where is the canister

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

canister on my 01 is under passenger side cabin.

the small leak, large leak p0455, etc doesn't usually cause a problem with how it runs. it does indicate that your leaking gas fumes, so you wouldn't want to park the truck inside the basement or in a garage with a pilot light. something bad could happen.

if the leak is in the canister side, the engine usually runs ok. if the leak was in the throttle body side, it might have a full time vac leak and throw a lean condition code.

the only other thing bad is that when an evap purge cycle occurs, it might open up a vac leak. this might cause some intermittent problems and might or might not throw a lean code.

i've had a p0455 code for a long time i haven't been able to solve. the truck still runs fine and gets good mpg.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
01Rammer

Yeah im throwing the large and small leak. I have single cab. Its also idling rough on cold startup, random misfire. My mpg sucks. Could evap be related to any of the conditions i said?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think so.
running wise - the worst thing that an evap leak could do is cause a vac leak and a lean condition.

you could prove that it is or isn't by locating the vac line from the purge solenoid to the manifold/throttle body, and disconnecting it at the manifold and plugging the port.

for rough idle and mpg, look at the basics - plugs, cap, rotor, wires, front 02 sensor, etc. if idle speed isn't acting right, replace iac and/or tps. depending on a lot of things, the very best mpg you could hope for will be around 15-16-17 mpg. i get about 13-14 city and 15-16 highway with gentle driving.

for your evap leaks, check the ends of all the vac hoses in the evap system. cut off a couple inches as needed to eliminate splits. replace gas cap. here's a pic of my canister with split hoses.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-leak-fix.html

Quick Reply: Evap? Is there a problem?