2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shock noise...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
peteschi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock noise...Help!

Hello-

I have a 2001 Dodoge Ram 1500, I have switched my old ProComp shocks out for Bilsteins (front and rear). I now get a clunking sound (driver and passenger side) when i drive over bumps, washboard roads etc. When i installed my ProComp shocks I had the same problem, of which i fixed by tightening the lower bolt on the shock. However now that I put new ones on its doing it again! So i know its the shock because there wasent any sounds like this coming form the suspension before I switched the shocks out. When installing the Bilsteins, I had to grind down (a few mm's) the metal sleeve that was in the lower shock bushing that the shock bolt goes through in order to make it fit on the mounting "block" (the shock goes through the axel coil and the lower shock eye fits into a "block" on the axel). I tightened it down with an impact wrench as much as I could and it still makes the noise (the upper bolts are tight as well). All I can think of is that there might be a small amount of play between the lower shock bolt, and the metal sleeve that the bolt goes through on the lower part of the shock. Is there anyway to tighten this "play" up? Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Ram section,
FF

Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Crawl under the truck, grab the shock, and shake it. See if you can find where the slop is. Then see what you are going to have to do to fix it.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Did you torque the bottom shock mounts down to 100 foot pounds on the front?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
peteschi

I used a large IR impact wrench to tighten the lower bolts, i thought that would have done the job the torque wrench would have done? The bolt is as tight as i can get it.

Quick Reply: shock noise...Help!