2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans lost 1st and 2nd gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM
al911er
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Trans lost 1st and 2nd gear.

1999 Ram 1500 318.. Seemed like trans was starting to slip when starting out. Would not "kick down" on a hill or to pass.
I called a friend with a trans shop to make an appt to drop it off telling him I lost 1st and 2nd gear... He suggested I try something first. Unplug the rear most O2 sensor between the CAT and the muffler. Couldn't understand the connection..but what the heck. I unplugged the sensor, disconnected the battery for a couple minutes. Hooked it up, started it drove down the road, starting out in 1st, shifting smooth. He explained he found that out the hard way, after a rebuild that didn't fix the problem. Not sure why but if that O2 sensor shorts out, it causes the trans to bypass 1st and 2nd.
So a new O2 sensor is a heck of a lot cheaper than a trans job.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About the only way I can see that that would make sense would be if the transmission temperature sensor shares its reference voltage with the post-cat oxygen sensor -- which it might. I'm not inclined to run out to the truck to grab my manual just now, but this does seem to be the only logical explanation for it.

Anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the third time I've heard something like this in as many weeks- once was here in fact.

This certainly doesn't make it so, as evidenced by all the throttle body spacers sold and being used still, but its worth thinking a little about before its totally dismissed, right?

I don't get it- though I admittedly don't know a whole lot in the scheme of things.

Added: about three or four years ago my gov pressure solenoid gave up the ghost. The reason I say three or four is because it stopped working for about a week, at what point I just started up by using the shifter manually- it started behaving- for a while. Some months later it started doing it every so often. Then it quit all together. I'm saying all of this because I started dropping the shifter all the way to first and back up to drive when it started working again thinking (however silly) this was somehow eliminating the symptom, when in fact it was the equiv of drinking snake oil (or whatever you do with snake oil)... Two things may seem to affect each other when in fact they don't.

I'm not saying they don't... I am saying that solenoid is a tricky rascal- but if its acting goofy now, rest assured the fuse is lit.

Last edited by drewactual; 12-01-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the third time I've heard something like this in as many weeks- once was here in fact.

This certainly doesn't make it so, as evidenced by all the throttle body spacers sold and being used still, but its worth thinking a little about before its totally dismissed, right?

I don't get it- though I admittedly don't know a whole lot in the scheme of things.

Added: about three or four years ago my gov pressure solenoid gave up the ghost. The reason I say three or four is because it stopped working for about a week, at what point I just started up by using the shifter manually- it started behaving- for a while. Some months later it started doing it every so often. Then it quit all together. I'm saying all of this because I started dropping the shifter all the way to first and back up to drive when it started working again thinking (however silly) this was somehow eliminating the symptom, when in fact it was the equiv of drinking snake oil (or whatever you do with snake oil)... Two things may seem to affect each other when in fact they don't.

I'm not saying they don't... I am saying that solenoid is a tricky rascal- but if its acting goofy now, rest assured the fuse is lit.
Rest assured, to understand this post is no easy nut to crack...

Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Slomojo
Rest assured, to understand this post is no easy nut to crack...

lol agreed

Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drink snake oil.

It will make perfect sense afterwards.

Damn it.

Or just drink. That'll accomplish the same thing.

Quick Reply: Trans lost 1st and 2nd gear.