2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stutter and bog, only when wet.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
HDRAMman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stutter and bog, only when wet.

I have a rally weird issue going on but only after I drive through a big puddle or in a heavy down pore. Slow and soft rain or wetness out doesn't give me an issue.

I'll drive through a puddle and as soon as my RPMS drop dow to idle range, the needle will bounce, the engine will rev. and strive to breath (I can hear the intake sucking in hard) and If I go to give it gas, it will bog. Only way to fix it is turn the truck off, let it sit for two min's and start back it up.

Even if I get the "wet bog" (as I have been calling it) and let it try and idel, it will stay like that and sound like ****. Once I kill it and then restart its fine.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something electrical is getting wet from underneath.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of is the ignition system....but that usually is a problem in the mornings with a cold start..

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Replace dusty cap and put dielectric grease on every ignition wire point of contact. Thedisty poles,plugs,and at the coil.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your spark plug wires. Believe it or not, they get worn with age and as such get affected by moisture. I grew up in the Great Lakes region, where it gets very humid in the summer months. One summer, my brother's car would be a royal bear to start due to worn plug wires during very humid hours. He was a happy camper when payday came and he replaced them.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I had almost that exact same problem when I had a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If replacing the distributor cap/rotor/wires doesn't solve the issue, try looking at that next. Mine would do it after a car wash or crossing any size of pond/puddle.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
HDRAMman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did new plugs and wire a few months back. The dis. cap is old though. Would water splashing up from underneath really cause all this? Would it effect the TPS?

I suppose I should pull all the plugs and re-grease them.

On a side note, would the TPS goin bad cause a delay in acceleration/pedal reaction?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Yes, I do believe it would cause a delay in acceleration.

Quick Reply: Stutter and bog, only when wet.