2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is a good tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For hard packed snow and ice, you want a tire with a lot of surface contact, small voids and a LOT of deep siping. Good choices would be the General AT2, Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo Open Country AT and Mickey Thompson ATZ. Traditional mud terrain tires with big honking lugs and large voids would be a no-no.

Only down side to the above is that if you plan on any serious off-roading, they don't do mud very well, especially the Generals, which tend to run like slicks in any mud at all. The Nittos are decent, as long as it's shallow, slick mud, but anything deep, forget it.

As a rule, if it's a good snow/ice tire it's gonna be a good sand tire, but it will get you stuck in mud. While the opposite holds true, a good mud tire will be ok in deep, loose snow, but will be downright squirrely on hard packed snow and ice, as well as just digging in and getting you buried in soft sand.

Personally, I stay away from anything with BFG or Goodyear on the side of it. Over-priced, under-performing, over-advertised tires...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-03-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i run 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T2 10ply tires, and probably the best tire ive owned.....i go off-roading alot, and these tires hold up excellent....have had them on since February, and ive gotten stuck twice, and ive gone through some hardcore mud pits.....

Ive had Mud Kings on my old Nissan 4x4 and the Coursers hold up better than those. Nice and quiet on the highway, smooth ride, wear evenly....i have about 8-9K on my tires, and they arent even worn yet, and i havent done a rotation yet......still like new condition.

Courser A/t 2 tire will be a good choice......but remember i have the 10 ply, not the 6 or 8 ply, so that may play a role.

cost me $746 for all 4 tires, balance, mount on rim, new valve stems, free flat repair for life of tire, 60K treadlife guarentee, and front end alignment......not a bad price....

Last edited by 95RAM360; 12-03-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 AM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
For hard packed snow and ice, you want a tire with a lot of surface contact, small voids and a LOT of deep siping. Good choices would be the General AT2, Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo Open Country AT and Mickey Thompson ATZ. Traditional mud terrain tires with big honking lugs and large voids would be a no-no.

Only down side to the above is that if you plan on any serious off-roading, they don't do mud very well, especially the Generals, which tend to run like slicks in any mud at all. The Nittos are decent, as long as it's shallow, slick mud, but anything deep, forget it.

As a rule, if it's a good snow/ice tire it's gonna be a good sand tire, but it will get you stuck in mud. While the opposite holds true, a good mud tire will be ok in deep, loose snow, but will be downright squirrely on hard packed snow and ice, as well as just digging in and getting you buried in soft sand.

Personally, I stay away from anything with BFG or Goodyear on the side of it. Over-priced, under-performing, over-advertised tires...
I completely agree with all the above except for the part about Nittos getting stuck in slick mud and deep oatmeal.

I can say from personal experience that my Nitto TG A/Ts are incredicle and CANNOT GET STUCK.

I am moved 9000 lb traliers in reverse going up a hill in very nasty conditions up in the mtns and they win not spin on me at all, it really helps to have 4 low too though.

Had for 21000 miles and still have 55% tread life left in them...not bad for a 3/4 ton HD truck. wearing very nicely, quiet on the road and has tackled every condition I was able to throw at it and hasn't let me down....whether it be oatmeal, mud, snow or slush.
Nitto has me for life as long as they keep making 'above all the competion' rubber!
Yes i did have BF Goodrich A/T KOs and were not anywhere close to as good as the Nittos are treating me

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just bought a set of these about an hour ago, so no opinion yet lol.
$850 out the door in 285/75/16.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...orn-Radial.htm

Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigslick050
I completely agree with all the above except for the part about Nittos getting stuck in slick mud and deep oatmeal.

I can say from personal experience that my Nitto TG A/Ts are incredicle and CANNOT GET STUCK.

I am moved 9000 lb traliers in reverse going up a hill in very nasty conditions up in the mtns and they win not spin on me at all, it really helps to have 4 low too though.

Had for 21000 miles and still have 55% tread life left in them...not bad for a 3/4 ton HD truck. wearing very nicely, quiet on the road and has tackled every condition I was able to throw at it and hasn't let me down....whether it be oatmeal, mud, snow or slush.
Nitto has me for life as long as they keep making 'above all the competion' rubber!
Yes i did have BF Goodrich A/T KOs and were not anywhere close to as good as the Nittos are treating me

I own a set of Terra Grapplers on my Grand Cherokee Overland. Great tire, very quiet, fantastic on wet pavement, real good on the trail and even grip well on slick red clay roads after the rain (where I've had Generals slide like you were on grease), but even with my front and rear lockers on the Jeep, they get bogged in deep mud. Probably better than most A/Ts, but can't compare with even moderate M/Ts IMO...

Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to stick up for nitto as far as an all around tire, they do just as good as bfg's all terrain and are quite a bit cheaper. No A/T compares to most mud terrains in mud it just doesnt compare. There is a reason why many 2500 trucks run the nittos, they come in the right sizes, perform well in wet weather and have a strong enough compound to hold together with the heavier weight

Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i just bought a set of these about an hour ago, so no opinion yet lol.
$850 out the door in 285/75/16.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...orn-Radial.htm
If they are ANYTHING like the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, you'll be buying another set next year! My "little brother" had a set on his Z71 and they were great in mud WHILE THEY HAD TREAD. Wore really fast and were like a set of racing slicks after that. He replaced them with a set of Mickey Thompson MTZs and currently has a good 75% tread left AFTER about double the miles the Buckshots lasted.

I really hope the BigHorns are better...

Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I really hope the BigHorns are better...
me too.....

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Baddnet
Professional

I have been running FIERCE ATTITUDE M/T LT315/75R16 .. so far good wear.. and great in the mud..tried to get stuck..lol....couldnt.... aint been enough snow yet to say how they do in the snow http://www.fiercetires.com/tires/attitude-mt/index.html

Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran

Check out Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Great for winter and lower cost.

Quick Reply: what is a good tire?