2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is a good tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a good tire?

So snow is ganna be flying around me the next day or two and I still got my summer rims on my stock tires are shot. I've been searching for new tires but it seems like all you read about is the good anyone got ideas on good tire brand and bad. Tire size is 285 75 16 I've been thinking yokohama, general tire, falken, or nitto all will be A/T unless I can find a good mudding tire that might last me a while for once. Any ideas will be great.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give treadwright a try. a couple other members on here have them, and i will be getting a set soon. theyre re-treads but they seem to have alot of good reviews. stay away from goodyear and the like. mastercraft courser at2's are a great a/t tire and are fairly aggressive.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Dixie Mudslinger
Veteran

BFG AT's are amazing ive had mine for almost 3 years and they are still like new when balanced and rotated properly so i would recommend those to you

Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 PM
TheBigRedOne

General AT2's We put them on id say 75% of the trucks that leave the shop. I've only ever had one complaint from a customer and that was due to a defect.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

retreads seems almost to good to be true. Hate to break it to ya but my summer rims got goodyear wrangler with kevlar haha love them. But never buy them again.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Mickey Thompson MTZ all the way

Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am using the Goodyear mt-r/k and as soon as I can I am going back to the Cooper STT for the winter.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
General AT2's We put them on id say 75% of the trucks that leave the shop. I've only ever had one complaint from a customer and that was due to a defect.

How do they last? I have ran several sets of BFG at's and always loved them... hook up great and last a long time. The tread design of the generals are dang near the same as the BFG's, so I figure they will hook up just as well, just wondering about the wear. And they are much more reasonably priced then BFG's.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
TheBigRedOne

They are better then BFG's in almost every way. They really are almost too good to be true. They hook up better in wet conditions, they clear themselves better, they are great in loose sand as well as hard pack. I've one customer who's reported over 30k on his so far, and there was a fair amount of tread left on them. What else makes them superior to bfgs is that they are damn near silent on the highway. The reason that you don't see a ton of them on the road, is because what can a tire retailer make more money off of. A $260 BFG, or a $160 General? If places like discount actually offered the tire in their showrooms (its a special order and they drag their heels to get them) BFG would have a serious problem. The only way the BFG's are better is the sidewalls are a bit more reinforced. Unless you're racing though, this isn't a factor to even consider. Nobody runs them though, they're crap as far as racing is concerned.

General has really stepped up their tires to make them viable for desert racing. That's the direction most large offroad mfg's are going these days. Its the largest and fastest growing part of the offroad community, in the entire world. From Dakar to Anza-Borrego.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
They are better then BFG's in almost every way. They really are almost too good to be true. They hook up better in wet conditions, they clear themselves better, they are great in loose sand as well as hard pack. I've one customer who's reported over 30k on his so far, and there was a fair amount of tread left on them. What else makes them superior to bfgs is that they are damn near silent on the highway. The reason that you don't see a ton of them on the road, is because what can a tire retailer make more money off of. A $260 BFG, or a $160 General? If places like discount actually offered the tire in their showrooms (its a special order and they drag their heels to get them) BFG would have a serious problem. The only way the BFG's are better is the sidewalls are a bit more reinforced. Unless you're racing though, this isn't a factor to even consider. Nobody runs them though, they're crap as far as racing is concerned.

General has really stepped up their tires to make them viable for desert racing. That's the direction most large offroad mfg's are going these days. Its the largest and fastest growing part of the offroad community, in the entire world. From Dakar to Anza-Borrego.

Huh, I will have to seriously check them out then. Old maroon is soon due for new rubber, and it was without question going to get a set of BFG at's... but now I may have to question.

Quick Reply: what is a good tire?