2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Takes forever to heat up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM
jonneeu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takes forever to heat up

1999 Ram 1500, 5.2, Auto, 2 wheel drive It takes forever to generate heat in the motor, I have replaced the thermostat twice 194 degrees, and I even have a big *** piece of cardboard in front of the rad, It takes about 20 miles on the highway before the gauge even starts to move. Once the gauge starts to climb then I have heat in the truck and everything is OK, It just takes so long to get heat. I wonder if the thermostat is not closing all the way? I can see one being defective but 2 in a week? Hey it's cold up here in Alberta...Jon

Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Check your fan clutch as well..... (although, given that you stated highway driving, even if the fan IS running, it wouldn't make much, if any at all, difference)

I used to buy thermostats three at a time, that way, I had some assurance that I would probably have one that worked..... Get a GOOD termo. The Stant Super Stat is a good choice.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought mine took awhile to heat up. I get about 4 miles from the house before the needle starts to move (that's about 8 minutes of city driving). When I have my grill inserts in during the coldest part of winter, that is cut about in half.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 12-03-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Takes forever to heat up