2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

scan gauge II

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scan gauge II

Lately I have been looking at the scan gauge II.. Seems like a cool product, and i think i may buy one(after hearing some input for yall) Any cons with the scan gauge? I know its can see like 12 things.. plus a bunch of others with a thing called x gauge.. Anyone know what this this will see with my dodge? Should work since im a 96 right?(OBDII..) its right around 150 bucks and i figure its worth that just because it has a code reader( i have one but would like to be able to check codes on the road with out bringing the reader). Soo any input guys?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They work... I would say the MPG readout definately isnt accurate but at leastt it gives you an idea of how much gas is wasted by hard accelerations and speeding. Code reader is a great feature and so are all the things it can display on demand for you. Only drawback is how its readouts are not 100% accurate for the MPG.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 AM
k3yston3

Scangauge is very cool...Mine doesn't have the x-gauge option due to age but it still works great. It will work as long as your truck is ODBII, which I believe all 96s are.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Sweet i think im sold on it lol! Im getting a diesel soon, so i can move it over to that too =)

Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was someone on here not to long ago that was selling one for a great price. I think it was going for $80. He liked it but needed the money.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Thatd be awesome if i found that! I also want to mount it somewhere but id how... Guess i will figure that out when i buy one.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:55 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I have one, love it. The average Mileage reading is actually very accurate, within 1.5 MPG of doing it by hand. The Xgauge feature is awesome, I typed in a horsepower code to get an instaneous horsepower reading, though I am sure its not completley accurate. The Intake Air temp and Water temp are very useful. Also has a great trip function, tells you how many miles til empty, keeps track of how much money you have spent, your average speed, etc.

I originally mounted mine in the ash tray location

I bought a Mirror mount for it now, really cleaned everything up.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 AM
slider15004x4
Veteran

I have one installed on my 96 and it works great. MIne has the x gauge feature but I haven't used it. As for the mileage aspect, you have to do the calibration and the more you do it the calibration, the more accurate it is. JUst be sure to do the calibration for your speed setting also. It can account for different tires and gears. It is not very elaborate calibration. It just asks you to use a gps with mph reading on it and set the gauge to match what the gps indicates as your speed. After doing this it provides me very accurate MPG.

Quick Reply: scan gauge II