2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveshaft u-joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
jschatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft u-joint replacement

For some reason I thought there was a thread a while back on the rear drive shaft u-joint replacement procedure but my search abilities while on my iPhone are coming up with nothing. Am I just not finding it or am I going crazy. I mine are about due and would like to change them before I go traveling for the holidays.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Ujoints are a breeze. Yank the shaft, for the rear joint, just support the two arms on blocks (material of your choice), and hit the yoke, drive out one cap, roll it over, repeat on the other cap. To install, pull off the caps that are going into the driveshaft, (careful not to lose/displace the bearings in there....) put the joint in place, place the cap over the top of the yoke arm, and gently tap it into place, while holding the joint up in it, to prevent the rollers from going everywhere. Roll it over, do the same thing on the other side.

Front is a bit more complicated, but, same basic premise. Took my 30 minutes to change joints in a rear shaft, and that includes the time required to put it up on a rack, and yank the shaft.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concerning the replacement. I just did my front d-shaft and it seems the last two ujoints at the cardon joint I think its called are giving me trouble. They start to bind when I start to put the caps and then the shaft doesn't move freely. A shop said they are the wrong cap size? They are the ones all the shops have on file for the front dshaft? Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft u-joint replacement