2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 to 360 swap ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
spooky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 to 360 swap ???'s

Hey All,

I currently have a 2000 Ram 1500 w/ a 318. I have been wanting to do a 360 swap for some time.

I found a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 360 that I am buying the engine, flex plate and pcm from.

The mopar performance tech line told me that the pcm should work as long as neither vehicle has the anti-theft system. Something about the pcm being coded to the vehicle vin in applications where an anti-theft system was used. Does this make sense?

the 1999 and 2000 year models were both OBDII wern't they? I am thinking I can swap this 1999 360 and pcm stright into my truck using the 360 flex plate (to account for external balancing) and be good. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

CE

Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

It will bolt right in. Use the sensors and such from the 318, to make sure they are going to be giving the right range of values that the PCM is looking for. Instead of replacing the PCM, which will lead to other fun stuff.... get a tuner from Hemifever (right here on this website... just PM him.) Let him know what you are doing, and he can get you a canned tune for about 275.00. His tunes are orders of magnitude better than the factory stock tunes.... you will like it, and it will be WELL worth the money.

Welcome to DF.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Instead of replacing the PCM, which will lead to other fun stuff.... get a tuner from Hemifever (right here on this website... just PM him.) Let him know what you are doing, and he can get you a canned tune for about 275.00. His tunes are orders of magnitude better than the factory stock tunes.... you will like it, and it will be WELL worth the money.

Welcome to DF.
+1

And before you put the 360 in, do a full tune up and clean it up best you can before you drop it in, while it is easy to access.

Pics!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a long time ago,, sum one bitched about the left motor mount wasnt the same for 318-360

i dont how that for a fact but just kinda rember that

also great time to do the plenum gasket repair with a beefer belly pan

Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motor mounts are the same for the magnum V8's. Does it really matter though, you could just use the 318 mounts when you swap as the holes in the block are the same.

As mentioned great time to replace the plenum gasket.

Sounds like you have everything covered though.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 PM
spooky

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys. I'm definitely going to do the beefy plenum plate, and have a good look at the mill, heads etc while the engine is out. New freeze plugs and gasket kit is going to be the bare minimum. If I have to have the machine shop do their thing, then that is what will happen.

I thought about doing some sort of "chip" upgrade once the whole swap was complete. That is something I understand very little about and have to do my reading and research. I will have to get in touch with hemifever as it is evident from reading on this site that his tunes are well liked!

So if I get a tuner I can just use my original 318 PCM with the 360?

If this is so, would it be foolish to spend the extra money on the 360 PCM out of the parts truck? (i was going to pay an extra $50 for the PCM and the flex plate)

btw, my original pcm has had the death flash done. I bought this truck brand new and i hadn't had it 2 weeks before I took it back for all the pinging it was doing. Honestly i have never been thrilled with the power, so after a decade, I decided it is time for ACTION!

Thanks again,

C

Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Go with the tuner, and you won't need the other PCM. You WILL need to do something though, as the 318 calibration currently in your PCM will NOT run the 360 very well, if at all.

You will still need the flexplate for the 360.

Tuner will overwrite the deathflash.

Quick Reply: 318 to 360 swap ???'s