2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

very high idle when cooler or cold outside??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
bggibbs
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very high idle when cooler or cold outside??

I swapped out my 318 "98" w/ a 360"99" eng about 2 months ago.
Everything seems to be doing good except it is running rich,most likely due to th PCM which I hate to mention because it might throw someone off of my question.

The question is-What could be causing my trk to rev up to 2500rpm when
its cold outside? If the weather warms up to mid 70 and higher here in Fl it idles about average maybe a hair high. I can start the trk up in the morning when below say 70degress it idle highs,day warms up it dosnt rev up and idle high,when sun starts dropping and outside temp starts dropping it starts again. ???? any help out there?

We didnt pick up any codes other then a battery temp sensor?? and then it showed us it was running rich.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

did you reprogram the PCM for the larger displacement motor?

If you have the ability, check and see what temp the PCM thinks the engine is when it is misbehaving. Other than that, possible IAC motor problem, or, maybe a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: very high idle when cooler or cold outside??