2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Different Intakes.. question for 'yall...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Different Intakes.. question for 'yall...

What are the selections?

We have the Kegger, the modded kegger, the M1, the Hughes Air-Gap, and a few others..

I hear a lot about those here.. I never hear anything here about the others available for fuel injection.. there is another F1 look-a-like but sits a touch lower (overall height), and a four barrel version of the same.. their here..

I was full speed ahead for building a 408 earlier this week, but now I'm slowing down and aiming for Spring/Summer.. That kind of time allows me to rethink the build.. If there is anyone with experience or knowledge of these intakes, it would be appreciated if you'd share it.. That four barrel flows 1000cfm... that would make a 408 w/ ported heads and gasket matched intake and headers happy, no?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Look at the RPM range the various manifolds are designed to be most efficient in. Then, decide where you want your power band to be. Pick the manifold that best matches what you want to do.

For low end power, the kegger will be the best, but, at the cost of power in the upper RPM ranges. (probably a major drop-off in power at 4K RPM and up.)

Now, you ARE compensating for shuffling the power band with more cubes.... so, you could conceivably use a manifold rated for 2K+ RPM at the bottom, and STILL have an "improvement" over the stock 360....... and thereby not lose as much off the upper-mid, to top-end of the scale.

So, for starters, decide what you want your truck to do, and decide what range is most important for power, and choose your components from there.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
drewactual
Champion

my biggest curiosity is why the 4 barrel, and the F1 lookalike isn't more commonly discussed here.. I would think with the lack of intakes available without tapping bosses, there would be a whole lot of info about those.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are you asking? You want to convert a 4 bbl intake to MPI? The biggest problem is the lack of cast fuel injector bosses to machine for the fuel injectors.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
drewactual
Champion

I personally wouldn't convert a thing.. Neither would I pay to have an intake machined with injector bosses- not while there are 4bbl MPFI intakes already available.. I provided a link in my original post to both an alternative to the F1 Air-Gap, though it looks real dang close to the F1, as well as to the Magnum MPFI 4bbl intake- which also looks like a version of the F1..

But, never mind.. I found information elsewhere to answer my questions..

Quick Reply: Different Intakes.. question for 'yall...