2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Projector headlights without HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 01:10 AM
Jaredz28
|
Default Projector headlights without HIDs?

Alright fellas. First of all, I got lucky and with a little help from HeyYou have potentially solved my jerking problem for now. Plugs and wires have layed the misfire to rest. Not to get to the point of this thread. I know a lot of you fellas seem to dislike the projectors, but I fancy them. I don't so much want to convert my lights to HIDs but like the sonar/spyder projectors a few of you are running. My brother had a set of projectors with stock bulbs in his mustang without much success (and enough heat to cause melting in the lens). Does anyone have real world experience running projectors without HIDs? How is the light pattern? Are the lows bright enough to be useful? Any excessive heat issues?

Thanks fellas. I appreciate everything.

Old 12-20-2010 | 11:32 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

i have the projection lights without HID and there better than stock i like em

Old 12-20-2010 | 01:47 PM
Jaredz28
|

Awesome. Which projectors are you running? Do you have a sport model or did you need to do the wire flip?

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:10 AM
MilesBFree
Professional

I think it depends on what type of bulbs you use as to whether or not you need to flip the wires.

When I installed the DDM HIDs in my truck, I seem to recall the directions said if the bulb is a 9004 type, then flip the wires. If it was a 9007 type bulb, then don't.

I haven't done the projector housing yet, so not sure which ones (if any) use the stock 9004 type bulbs as in my truck, vs. requiring a different harness and bulb. But if not using the stock ones, their install instructions should tell you what to do with the wires.

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:28 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I have a set of the sonar projectors. Ran them without the HID bulbs for about 3 months with the H1 bulb provided. As much as I wanted it to work, it just doesn't. Light output with a halogen bulb is just too low. Its downright dangerous at highway speed as you are ezsentially over driving the lights. HIDs make a world of difference, as they should, because that's what that housing was designed for.

My advice is to order the headlight assemblies, figure out what bulb they take, reverse the black and blue wires if used in a non sport truck, (meaning your truck uses a 9004 bulb instead of the sport 9007 bulb, otherwise your light output will be really dim, and your high beam indicator will always stay on). After you figure out what bulb they use, order the HID kit for the bulb included for you Ram.

Nowadays HID kits can be had for under $100. Well worth the extra investment. When shopping, look for a kit that comes with the Philips ballasts, not a knock off, and then you can buy bulbs at any parts store without fear of incompatability. I also strongly recommend a 4300K bulb. 4300K throws the max amount of visible light, and looks way whiter than any halogen bulb I've ever seen. That's the color stock HIDs in luxury cars are, and there isn't a hint of blue to them, just pure white. If you decide to go a little bluer, don't go higher than 5000k, or you're sacrificing visible light.

Old 12-22-2010 | 10:35 AM
MilesBFree
Professional

I went with 6k bulbs and would not do so again. The color is a bright white with a hint of blueish (not the really blue you see on some cars) but is starting to get into the sacrificing-brightness-for-color zone. I would probably go with 5K or as aim4squirrels said, maybe the 4300.

Quick Reply: Projector headlights without HIDs?