2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

super dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Road Hammer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the lenses are good, I'm bettin the bulbs are old. They are halogen lights and over time they eventually burn off enough of the gas that they get "dim". I polished my lenses and replaced the bulbs with Xenon bulbs and WOW, my lights are awesome!
As far as runnin hi and low at the same time, my only concern would be melting or burning the lenses, there's not a lot of room in there and the heat would concern me.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bulbs dim over time. Replace the bulbs (Not just the bad one...Both of them!).

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

this is why i like the old sealed beam lights. they always look fairly brights for the most part and it is pretty much cheaper to replace them then polish them. i plan on trying to have the high beam and low beam on at the same time on my truck. the worst that could happen on my truck is i blow a bulb.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i got my lenses polished today no luck guess the new bulbs is my next go around

Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i just went out and tried having the high and low beam lights hooked up at the same time. on my truck it was definitely twice as bright but i don't know if there is any bad long term effects. definitely do not know how well it would work on a 2nd gen but i don't think it shouldn't make it any hotter and melt the lens. the only way to find out would be to try it. maybe get some cheap lenses from the junk yard to experiment on.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah our lights run on a open circuit, there really dim, checked the fuse under the hood and it was blown didnt even look blown ,used a volt meter on it and it was no worky

Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i just went out and tried having the high and low beam lights hooked up at the same time. on my truck it was definitely twice as bright but i don't know if there is any bad long term effects. definitely do not know how well it would work on a 2nd gen but i don't think it shouldn't make it any hotter and melt the lens. the only way to find out would be to try it. maybe get some cheap lenses from the junk yard to experiment on.
Well even with stock bulbs, if the hi beam is on (60 watts) and you also have the low beam on (55 watt), it only makes sense that they appear "twice as bright". Having said that, it only makes sense (to me) that it will also be twice as hot !

Old 12-24-2010, 09:35 AM
g65_armstrong@comcast.net

Check the inside coating on the bezel. Mine were dim and one side looked black. Took the plastic cover off and the chrome was gone inside. Painted it with some chrome paint. Much better but still not as bright as I would like them.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:39 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Hammer
Well even with stock bulbs, if the hi beam is on (60 watts) and you also have the low beam on (55 watt), it only makes sense that they appear "twice as bright". Having said that, it only makes sense (to me) that it will also be twice as hot !
Now, I don't know about the wattage on the 81-93 Rams, but the proper headlight wattage for our Rams is 45/65 watts.
Granted, the 99-02 Sports ran 55/65 watts...

Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

from what i have found on the internet the sealed beam lights used on the 81-93 are suppose to be 35W/65W but i think that 35 watt would be running lights if it had them because the high and low beam seem to be the same brightness but pointed at different places. it would not surprise me if the the 2nd gen lights are similar and that 45watt is the running lights if it has them.

Quick Reply: super dim headlights