2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

super dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i just went out and tried having the high and low beam lights hooked up at the same time. on my truck it was definitely twice as bright but i don't know if there is any bad long term effects. definitely do not know how well it would work on a 2nd gen but i don't think it shouldn't make it any hotter and melt the lens.
2 concerns on this - one is the amperage draw through the wiring and switch. second is the heat inside the light.

that's why i bought the brite-box instead of cobbling up my own. it has a positive lead direct to the battery, a ground, and its plug and play with the factory connectors. i do know its just a fancy relay, but i figured that someone smarter than me had designed it, built it, and tested it. if it was going to be a total failure that resulted in fire or meltdown, then it wouldn't still be sold by geno's truck site. i love mine. its just limited in that you have to turn on the brights to get the good light, which is blinding to any oncoming traffic.

i wish i could find a simple way to brighten up the lights on the non-bright/dim setting.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:56 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i thought about switching my passenger side light so it was set up to run brights on the dim setting and i could get a little more light without blinding oncomming traffic

Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
2 concerns on this - one is the amperage draw through the wiring and switch. second is the heat inside the light.

that's why i bought the brite-box instead of cobbling up my own. it has a positive lead direct to the battery, a ground, and its plug and play with the factory connectors. i do know its just a fancy relay, but i figured that someone smarter than me had designed it, built it, and tested it. if it was going to be a total failure that resulted in fire or meltdown, then it wouldn't still be sold by geno's truck site. i love mine. its just limited in that you have to turn on the brights to get the good light, which is blinding to any oncoming traffic.

i wish i could find a simple way to brighten up the lights on the non-bright/dim setting.
it would not surprise me if all that was in that brite-box was 2 relays. from what i read on the geno's website the brite-box make your low beam and high beam go on at the same time so there should be no problem with overheating and melting a lens if you where to use relays.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:48 PM
grox
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A relay does nothing to make your lights brighter, all it is is an electrically operated switch. If you were to use a switch capable of handling the ampere draw of the lights, you can use a simpler set-up. The relay is the better way to go, though.
To have both low and high beams running at the same time, I would just switch them separately, so that you can turn them each on/off individually.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

they pretty much are are already separate. you turn your lights on you can turn your low beam or high beam on from in the cab. now if you where to use 2 relays and a switch you could set it up to turn the low beams on or off while you have your high beams on.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:46 PM
grox
Veteran

Yeah, it's just the nature of the switch on our trucks for the high beam to disengage the low beam when it's on.
You could modify the wiring on the multifunction switch to keep both of them on.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

when i was in my mom's car today i noticed when she turn her high beam lights on that the low beams stayed on. you can definitely see way better with them on. it is funny that that brite box is not available to Canadian customers but the cars seem to come from the factory with a light system that seems to work like the brite box. my mom has a 2006 Hyundai elantra. i think i might definitely be adding 2 relays to my truck

Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
when i was in my mom's car today i noticed when she turn her high beam lights on that the low beams stayed on. you can definitely see way better with them on. it is funny that that brite box is not available to Canadian customers but the cars seem to come from the factory with a light system that seems to work like the brite box. my mom has a 2006 Hyundai elantra. i think i might definitely be adding 2 relays to my truck
Are you sure your moms car isn't using a dual bulb setup?

I was amazed the first time I rode in my sisters PT Cruiser at night. She flicked on the high beams and the see angles and stuff were amazing. The headlights in that car are the best I've seen.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
grox
Veteran

The bulbs in our trucks use a dual-beam design, whereby there are two filaments in series which share a common ground. When the low beams are on, voltage is supplied after the first filament, illuminating one of the filaments. When the high-beams are turned on, voltage is supplied before the first filament, illuminating both filaments.
Leaving both voltage sources on really only affects the low-beam filament, and will make it burn out more quickly in addition to making it brighter.

What I plan on doing is tapping into the high-beam side with an independent switch supplied directly off of the battery, so that I will be able to have low-beam only, high-beam only, or if desired, the overdriven high-beams.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i know there is some type of dual bulb setup on it but i am not sure what lights are where. i only know where the running lights are. i have not been in front of the car when she had the lights on.

Quick Reply: super dim headlights