2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

knocking,pinging sound???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:56 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the greatest myths of all time, almost everyone has experienced it in their trucks. I put together some tips gathered from "outside sources" which should help you combat the marble-monster:

- plenum. Ahh the infamous plenum leak. This may account for the highest majority of pingers among us. If you own a Dodge, check for leaks. This will indeed cause ping not to mention other less desirable consequences.

- basic tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Get 'er done. Use top quality parts such as a cap with brass inserts, Taylor or MSD wires, NGK plugs.

- 180 t-stat, a lot of people have mentioned improvement by adding this not to mention the well-known benifits to the magnum engine

- cold air intake, doesn't have to be fancy but the more cool air you get into the engine, the more it helps against ping. Some people have even insulated their CAI pipes and noticed improvement

- NGK plugs, preferably the FR5 and FR6 line. Countless people rave about the benifits against ping and all-around performance.

- spark plug gap, this is up for debate. I once lowered my gap by 3 thou and noticed a huge difference and so did others who ended up trying it.

- spark plug wire reroute. This is an actual TSB and some have claimed immediate results.

- relocated IAT. A very easy mod that many have said helps not to mention the little benifits that come from it.

- MSD 6A, 6AL, etc. I hear people saying this helped and I know it did on mine. Not to mention the performance benifits and I even got my plugs gapped about 10 thou over factory spec.

- fuel grades. Another one up for debate. Try them all, use the one that works best Smile Even try different stations... I know for me, one station in particular works best on my truck and offers the best mileage.

- CCC / Seafoam. The epitomy of liquid-additives. I can go on for days about the number of satisifed users.

- timing chain. I noticed almost an incredible improvement once I changed out the timing chain for a MP double roller. Let's face it, the OE ones get old and tired and they do stretch.

- fuel pressure. There have been cases where pressure was not up to snuff and people who mentioned that once they fixed the issue, they also reduced ping.

- fuel cooling. Some have tried cooling the incoming fuel for better results. Insulating the rails is one example.

- PCM / Death Flash. Some noticed better results against ping with the OE, others with the MP. If you have the dreaded "death flash", I'd take any steps necessary to get it out of there.

- timing mod. Done by repositioning the crankshaft sensor in the bell housing. Once again, some have seen results against ping, others haven't.

- coil. It's a long shot but some have noticed improvement just by throwng an MSD in. If you have an Accel and it is running fine, you are one of very few who have such luck.

All the above have been used or tried with relatively happy results in the combat against ping. Hope it helps for some of you.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 AM
calumetbud
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after taking the valve cover off the right side,the knocking sound seems to be coming from underneath the intake...its more of a knocking noise than a pinging sound...

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calumetbud
No, i started too..but left it alone
define this. Because you could have loosened something up and it is meshed in with your timing chain. The timing chain could send vibrations up to the intake.

I really don't know what the hell could have happened.

Maybe it is just your fan shroud hitting the fan. I the top of the shroud (lip) completely over the top of the radiator?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM
calumetbud
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it,after taking the other valve cover off and finding nothing...I took the oil pan off and found #8 rod knocking....Are there any DIY on this or some good ponters on replacing the bentrod,or any other suggestions..

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yank the motor. Completely disassemble it, and send the block out to be cleaned/inspected. Same goes for the crank. Replace the rod in question. Don't even bother having it checked, just replace it.

Have your heads checked as well. They are probably cracked. (very common on these engines.)

Or, pick up a replacement motor.... that would certainly be quikest/easiest.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
2012 and were all nuked !

Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Another year and some change to go.... Make the most of it. DRINK MORE BEER!

Quick Reply: knocking,pinging sound???