2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Waking up my dodge

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strap on your tinfoil hats kids. Pour it in your crank case, then drive over and get your oil changed. The stuff you're afraid of being around your "bearings/lifters/rings/cylinder walls/etc" is already there to begin with. These are very outdated gas engines, not fine tuned Nitro/F1 motors. Your engine will be fine.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It contains a solvent. Plain and simple. How else would it "re-liquefy" the crap in your engine? Breaking all that stuff down, it then circulates thru your engine......

Given that the instructions dictate that you CLOSELY monitor your oil condition, and they don't want you to leave it in there beyond 100 miles with 'dirty' oil..... What other conclusion could you come to?

Even on a fresh oil change, with seafoam added, they want you to 'closely monitor' your oil condition.....

That said.... IF used as the directions indicate, it probably IS effective at what it does. My major malfunction with it is, I don't WANT that crap running around my bearings/lifters/rings/cylinder walls/etc.
You're absolutely right...If you break that crap loose, it'll plug your oil pump intake = Done.

Best thing if you're worried about sludge is to change you're oil like crazy till it starts showing up clean.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by kraustin
As a newb, I want to first thank this forum and its members for all of the helpful information on my 2nd Gen dodge!

I have a 1998 Quad Cab 318 with 230,000 miles, it is a 2wd and it has 6" of suspension lift, 3" body lift with 35" tires. I really haven't had many problems with it (rebuilt tranny @ 200k and a new cat around the same time) and it still fires up without hesitation. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it at all for the past 5 years (excluding enough to keep fresh gas in it) and would like to give her a really good tuneup without rebuilding the motor and enough new parts to use her more as a daily.

I have been through the forum and the FAQ section and this is what I have come up with for a list of items (of which I am asking for your guys' input):

New Plugs (NGK V-power Copper: 4291)
Plug Wires (Recommendation?)
Distributor (Recommendation?)
Cap (Recommendation?)
Rotor (Recommendation?)
Check/replace the O2 Sensors
Spectre Dropin Filter
Heavy Duty Brake Rotors, Pads and bearings (not sure what would be best for my application)
Brake fluid flush
Transmission Fluid Flush with new filter
Coolant Flush
Seafoam treatment (Still debating if it will help or hurt at this point)
Oil and filter change (Any recommended high mileage synthetic?)

Please feel free to make this list as long as needed. Thank you! I'll keep searching through old posts to fine tune this list too.

Kevin
As stated...Don't pull the distributor, it only controlls when the injectors fire...If you do pull it out, you'll have to take it to a dealer to get fuel sync set...But you can change the cap and rotor, just don't move the distributor.

And don't get a tranny flush....Just drain the fluid, drop the pan and install new filters/fluid. Use ATF4

Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
kraustin

A shot down the throttle body

Driver side front plug

I put everything back together and ran half a bottle of seafoam in the vacuum line then split the rest between the oil and almost empty gas tank. No smoke came from the exhaust. I bought another bottle and will repeat the same treatment followed with a dino oil change with filter.

As for the tuneup, new plugs cap and rotor will be going in at the same time I do the oil change so I can get her smogged and legal.

I did notice a small leak in the radiator near the top on the driver's side, and I'm currently pondering that situation... as well as reviewing the condition of the u-joints...

All of the steering seemed rock solid (swapped the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc before she went dormant).

Thanks for the input guys! More input is always appreciated!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Seafoam is pure petroleum, how is it going to hurt anything in the area where, erm.. Petroleum goes?

I'll answer that, it won't hurt anything.
ok smartass, put gasoline or diesel in your crankcase in place of oil and tell me how that goes. Gasoline/deisel/tar/shoe polish/petroleum jelly/asphalt are petroleum distillates.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
notanexit7
Captain

I should really check my plenum...I'm scared to look. Had a bunch of engine work done a while ago and I didn't know about bad plenums yet sooo the gasket was replaced with a stock one My hypertech is a glorified speedo calibrator, don't buy it. Hypertech is also proud of their stuff as I spent almost 400 bucks a few years ago for it while I think the SCT is 2 something and it does so much more.

Last edited by notanexit7; 01-26-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Waking up my dodge