2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Slipping and Truck Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Slipping and Truck Stalling

Hey fellas. I have a 97 Ram 5.2L 4x4 and a few issues. When I crank my truck and put it in neutral it takes off every time. I know this is because the pump doesn't pump in park. The problem is after take off and more or less idling around through a parking lot or slowing to a stop sign the truck stalls out or if I'm leaving a stop sign the tranny slips. This problem only happens when the truck is cold. Once the tranny warms everything runs fine. I say the tranny because I usually remote start the truck. I don't have a rough idle or start and the tranny is full of fluid. One other problem is that sometimes but not all the time the truck stalls when shifting from drive to reverse. For instance, returning home and pulling forward then backing into a parking place. I had one of the tranny sensors, can't remember which, replaced not quite 2 years ago. Are all these issues related? I've read on here and other places that a tranny solenoid maybe cause the stalling. Anyone with any ideas or advice? I appreciate all help!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a check valve problem? Come on, I've seen you all diagnosis harder problems than this.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy buckets dude. Give us more than 2 hours to respond. Most of us have jobs and lives that we have to step away from the PC now and then to deal with.

Did you check the fluid in Neutral with the truck running, or in Park?

Are you 100% sure its a transmission issue? A bad/failing TPS or IAC sometimes feels like a transmission issue.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slipping and Truck Stalling