2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dying at stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
got_ink123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying at stop

Alright, I'm over here in Philly, the truck sat for about a week because i was worried of someone stealing my spot so I kept taking my wife's car since no one can park infront of our garage. Anyway... today I ran out and it had the ever so slightest problem starting, just a bit of hesitation but it started and ran. I hopped on the highway it ran fine for 2 miles. At my third light it stalled (it's an auto) then stalled everytime I stopped without holding the gas and the brake at the same time on the way to and home from my destination.

So I ran a volt meter on it, 12.3volts when off, 14.4 when running @ idle... When I went to run the volt meter I couldn't get it to stall but I brought it out to 5grand and when i let off, it went to stall but caught itself... it slightly dipped when this happened and hit 13.7volts... so I don't think it's my battery / charging system.

The IAC and TPS were both recently replaced. The truck also has new plugs and wires. I'm at a loss for why it's acting like this... any ideas?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional

this just happened to me a month or so ago. i cleaned my IAC and everything has been dandy since. make sure you unplug your battery before doing it though.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd reset the pcm by disconnecting negative battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 seconds - see if it fixes itself. if not i'd charge the battery or drive it/idle it for awhile and let the alternator recharge battery.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
99ramjrbo

I had the same problem with my 99 1500. Every time i would stop i had to keep one foot on the brake the other on the gas. I got some carb and choke cleaner, and with the engine running sprayed about 2 squirts in the carb. Knock on wood i have not had a problem since. There was a post on it a little while ago in this forum.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Not saying this is your problem, but make sure you clean the battery posts really well. I had a workaholic battery and I had to clean the post and cable about once a month to keep it working right. If I didn't I'd have to do exactly what you say to keep the truck running at red lights and stop signs. I have an Optima red top now and have no problems.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Flue
Veteran

+1 on the terminals. My neg term was slightly corroded and started causing me the same issues. Once I cleaned the posts and freshly charged the problem went a way.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Is the check engine light on? If the neutral safety is bad and showing ground all the time to the PCM it will stall every time you stop. It usually causes a check engine light. Atleast it does in my truck.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might wanna replace your carb

clean your TB and reset the PCM

Quick Reply: Dying at stop