2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I know another Gearing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting a locker in the front IMHO means this truck is used to do some serious off roading. If it is your daily driver I don't think I would go with the locker unless you put lockout hubs on it. If you are going mud riding 2 a year do you need that much extra traction?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Waiting to hear back from Merc225 on this topic, but, a locker in the front shouldn't drive any different than an open differential when you are NOT in 4wd. Locker only locks when power is applied, in 2wd, no power is being applied, so, according to popular theory, it should remain unlocked, and act just like an open diff.

Having lockers in both ends would DRAMATICALLY improve the off-road capability of your truck. (which translates to: You can get deeper into trouble before you get stuck....... )

Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
liftedram1500

ok so would 4:56 be better or 4:10 i mudd but i drive it daily on the road?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In my opinion........ going to the 4.56 gears doesn't raise engine RPM by all that much for any given speed, but, does have some advantages..... Longer trans life. More low end grunt. More pulling power. ETC.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I spoke with the guy’s at Eaton and they said that it is locked at all times and only unlocks when going around corners. So mine is working like it should. Yes I did lose some gas mileage after the install but not worth talking about. It dose drive a little differnt the driver’s side wheel drags just a bit because it is the only wheel driving the shaft and other things. If you have a look at the 2nd paragraph you will see that it is in constant drive mode.
  • 100% locking differential
  • Legendary traction
  • Ultimate performance

The legendary Detroit Locker began the revolution in performance differentials and still leads the industry today as an Eaton brand. The Detroit Locker is the most durable and dependable locking differential available.

The Detroit Locker maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, and has the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required. Applications are also available for C-Clip style axles.

No other performance differential has the reputation for delivering traction in mud, snow, rocks and on the track. The choice of professional racers and off-road enthusiasts around the world! The durability of the Detroit Locker is unmatched!

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-28-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add spacing
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
merc225hp
Champion

There is only one reason I have dl fornt and back, and that is becouse of where I live and what I used to do for a hobby. I live in the mountains and when driveing up the logging roads you need all the help you can get. I used to like to snow wheel this truck but I no longer do so. I would not be putting a locker in the front of any truck unless you really need it. One in the back will get you in anoff trouble.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In my opinion........ going to the 4.56 gears doesn't raise engine RPM by all that much for any given speed, but, does have some advantages..... Longer trans life. More low end grunt. More pulling power. ETC.
I more or less agree with this. I don't think the 4.56 raise the engine idle that much, but what is the use if you are only going to be using tires smaller than 35? For me, I chose 4.10 because the chance of me ever going to a 35 is slim to none and the chance of going over 35 is below zero. In short, 4.56 allow for more upward expansion with the cost of minimal higher RPM. 4.10 make the truck feel 10X better than stock with 33.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Damn. Not what I was hoping to hear.

have you verified that your front driveshaft is turning even in 2wd?

I see a possible hub conversion in my future.......

Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Damn. Not what I was hoping to hear.

have you verified that your front driveshaft is turning even in 2wd?

I see a possible hub conversion in my future.......
Yes I have It does turn when just in two wheel drive. The hub conversion is the way to go if you plan on going with a dl and then get ride of the cad with a solid shaft kit or a ford shaft.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

This is stuck in my head and I may be totally wrong but the drive shaft doesn't turn in 2WD. I have a truetrac in the front and I can crawl under it w/ it in 2WD and turn the drive shaft and it doesn't turn anything else. It freely spins. If it turned while operating it in 2WD I wouldn't be able to freely turn it while it was not moving? Unless I was Superman and could turn the left front axle at the same time? I maybe totally off but that is what is floating in my head on a Friday afternoon when I'm a few drinks behind the rest of the world.

Quick Reply: I know another Gearing thread