2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking at a used Ram with problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
zombiehunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks twisted...I actually looked at both of those and saved the first one to call once I get my tax check. The second one is from Dec. and the guy never replied to my emails so I gave up (and I don't want to deal with the "won't go in reverse" issue....I don't want a money pit)

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
that's such an easy fix for the current owner that would pay huge dividends for their investment.. There is something missing from this equation, and I would be willing to wager the missing piece is more than just a drive shaft.. A dollar to a donut says the front axle is inoperable and far exceeds just the missing shaft..

for S&G's, call them up and tell them you have a shaft, and would like to come by and test out the four wheel engagement and function.. Again I bet a dollar to a donut they come up with a good excuse why you can't..

+10 I couldn't have put it better myself. I'd open the front diff and CAD and inspect everything as well.

If the splines on the outer axle/intermediate shaft look chewed, or the ring gear and carrier are in bad shape (chipped/broken teeth, or an excessive amount of shavings/hunks of metal in the fluid), that front axle will grenade itself in a hurry.

Nothings worse than being in a situation where you need 4x4, shift into 4lo only to hear some very loud, bad noises.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used Ram with problems