2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking at a used Ram with problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
zombiehunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a used Ram with problems

Ok, so I just found a nice looking 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. It does have HIGH miles, but I will only use this as a sec. vehicle and won't use it that much at all (maybe around 10 times a month)

Now, the person is asking $2100 for it but they said the 4wd isn't working right now because it needs a new front drive shaft!

I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be worth buying and putting the drive shaft in (not sure how hard it is to accomplish). I am mechanically inclined and typically work on our vehicles myself before taking them to a garage. How hard is it to put in a drive shaft?

Here is the info I have on it:
automatic
clean interior
runs great

the negative on this truck is the front drive shaft to the 4x4 is missing!!!
the 4x4 engages just fine! but with no front drive shaft there nothing to turn the front axle!!
So, would it be worth the investment or should I just pass it up?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Originally Posted by zombiehunter
Ok, so I just found a nice looking 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. It does have HIGH miles, but I will only use this as a sec. vehicle and won't use it that much at all (maybe around 10 times a month)

Now, the person is asking $2100 for it but they said the 4wd isn't working right now because it needs a new front drive shaft!

I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be worth buying and putting the drive shaft in (not sure how hard it is to accomplish). I am mechanically inclined and typically work on our vehicles myself before taking them to a garage. How hard is it to put in a drive shaft?

Here is the info I have on it:

So, would it be worth the investment or should I just pass it up?

Thanks guys!
are you sure the drive shaft is missing? I did freeze plugs on my truck and I guess i broke one of the vaccum lines off the axle. The light said it was in 4x4 but it wasnt I found that vaccum line broke and fixed it worked fine again!
If just missing shaft pick one up easy to install and your good 230k might be a little sketchy tho I would prolly look into the motor a little more Is the body solid?

Last edited by 97Rampowerhouse; 01-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
zombiehunter

I'm just going by what they told me....they said it is actually missing.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The front driveshaft is easy to install about a 1/2hr work, and you should be able to find a used one for under $100. Spend some time on this forum reading subjects like, plenum leaks, trans problems, unit bearing problems. If you buy this truck you are going to need your mech skills and tools. They are great trucks but like any vehicle they have their issues. Oh yeh it’s a truck not a little car these trucks get around 7-17mpg. I would walk up with $1500 cash and they can take it or leave it. Also drive it for at least 15min and look at everything.

There are only a few reasons for that shaft to be out, 1 it was removed because of bad cross joints, 2 it was stolen, 3 the truck has different gear ratio front to back. If it is the last reason get ready to spend some $$$

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Not sure where you are, but.... I bought my 96 3/4 ton for about 2600... with half the miles, all the options, and 4x4 that worked..... and I still think I paid too much for it....

I would be really curious as to just WHY they removed the front driveshaft.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
zombiehunter

thanks for the info guys!

I live in Indiana and so far this is one of the best deals I've found! Around here, if it has less than 200,000 miles, you are gonna pay upwards of $4000 or more. I've actually seen a lot of 1990 and lower F150s with 150-200,000 miles still selling for around $3500-4000.

I'm gonna keep looking around to see what I can find. I know I'm not gonna get a great 4x4 truck for under $3000, but I want to get something I will enjoy that's not a money pit!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's such an easy fix for the current owner that would pay huge dividends for their investment.. There is something missing from this equation, and I would be willing to wager the missing piece is more than just a drive shaft.. A dollar to a donut says the front axle is inoperable and far exceeds just the missing shaft..

for S&G's, call them up and tell them you have a shaft, and would like to come by and test out the four wheel engagement and function.. Again I bet a dollar to a donut they come up with a good excuse why you can't..

Old 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

230k miles is WAY too many IMO! unless the engine has only seen half the miles and the tranny a quarter of 'em. id pass.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
zombiehunter

thanks for all the info guys...I think I'll probably just pass on this and end up getting something else. I really wanted a Dodge Ram, but you can't get them around here for cheap at all!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie
Wink something to look at

hope this helps click the links there are pictures.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2159320761.html

I am asking $2100 OBO
IT RUNS STRONG & LOOKS NICE SOME CLEAR COAT FLAKING OFF
Vehicle Highlights
Mileage:198,000
Engine:MAGNUM V8, 5.2 Liter
Transmission:Automatic
Drivetrain:4WD
BLUE BOOK PRICE IS Vehicle Condition Rating Fair $2,640
Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.
Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional.
Tires 80%.
There is some repairable rust damage.
NOT LOOKING FOR TRADE
THANK YOU

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2114393494.html

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Black sport Extended cab. 5.9 liter, 360cubic inch Motor 152,000 miles. Needs some T.L.C. New Tires,I have a warrenty on them. new brakes, front wheel barrings, oil change keep up, and tune ups! New cherry Bomb Exhaust. Very strong Motor! Lot's of new parts. Does not go into reverse (most of the time?)Could be a easy fix, and needs a front bumper as well as the back. The Center link needs replaced, I already paid for it and got it, and it will come with the truck. I will put it on ( the center link) for an extra $50. Asking $2,000, but will work with you on the price. Great work truck! When I got it the 4x4 was out, but had it fixed and now it runs smooth! Great for the winter! Feel free to call as I don't check my e-mails. 317-435-4391, ask for Josh. Or 317-514-4542.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used Ram with problems